+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I know I shouldn't grumble but...

I'm Edward.

Reduce the time to 3 minutes and you will be able to afford the Kingdoms I mentioned.

Hope you still have the TDLs when I'm next over. Or perhaps you sold them already?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Reduce the time to 3 minutes and you will be able to afford the Kingdoms I mentioned.

Hope you still have the TDLs when I'm next over. Or perhaps you sold them already?
    They've got bids on eBay so won't be around too long I imagine. I should have compared them to the Celestions first but been too busy.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

I could be tempted to part with my 952’s if that helps
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Thanks Tom the issue is I need the money in the long run for something else more important, especially given the amount of time I get to listen to music with my busy life. So if I can spare the funds for now to try a few options rather than have it sitting in the bank I might as well get some fun out of it.

I don't buy the argument that the less time I have to listen the more I should spend to enjoy that time the more. By that logic if I only had 5 minutes a week to listen I'd be spending about £20k on the speakers

I have not presented such an argument, but have stated that only a small amount of time available for listening is not necessarily an implicit reason to spend little on a system.

As the time tends towards zero, then of course one may assume that the time is becoming a negligible part of life, and so a requirement for a good system may be deemed to approach zero.

But it may also be that as something highly valuable becomes more scarce, then to maximise that, there may be a requirement for the best quality to do so, and this may be a reason to spend maximally.

The two arguments may cancel.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

That is a bit like the definition of an expert: someone who concentrates on studying an increasingly narrow field of enquiry, so that in the end the expert "knows everything there is to know about nothing at all"!.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Not a great believer in experts. One can be 'an authority' on a subject and have very good knowledge and even have the papers to back this. But many so called experts are far from being expert at anything. I can think of a couple or more, but not naming names. In any case, nobody knows everything about anything.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 27-11-2019 at 11:59.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...Millburn-MK-ii
    I was going to suggest looking at these, but a little above the £500. But worth more of course.
    Chris.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not a great believer in experts. One can be 'an authority' on a subject and have very good knowledge and even have the papers to back this. Many so called experts are far from being expert at anything. I can think of a couple or more, but not naming names. In any case, nobody knows everything about anything.
    Actually if you invent your own new subject and make an industry out of it you can probably claim to know everything even if you just make it up as you go along. Diversity training courses spring to mind.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...Millburn-MK-ii
    I was going to suggest looking at these, but a little above the £500. But worth more of course.
    Thanks for the suggestion Chris I did in fact look at those but would have preferred a horn loaded rear. All a matter of personal taste of course.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I have not presented such an argument, but have stated that only a small amount of time available for listening is not necessarily an implicit reason to spend little on a system.

As the time tends towards zero, then of course one may assume that the time is becoming a negligible part of life, and so a requirement for a good system may be deemed to approach zero.

But it may also be that as something highly valuable becomes more scarce, then to maximise that, there may be a requirement for the best quality to do so, and this may be a reason to spend maximally.

The two arguments may cancel.
    Of course, I was just being flippant. I get the point but the fact is at about £500 I've already maxed out the budget from a cost/benefit, diminishing marginal utility etc type argument.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast