+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stunning new female solo artist..... FKA Twigs

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Stunning new female solo artist..... FKA Twigs

Just been blown away by this girl on Jools Holland... Kind of cross between Kate Bush and Bjork - supremely talented vocalist and dancer, with very distinctive voice and amazing range. Check her out, if you don't know of her already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkLjq...FYTv-4&index=1

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ian.

Very talented, her voice reminds me a little of Alison Goldfrapp
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    If she's half as good as Alison she'll do for me. Her breathy vocals on 'Felt Mountain' make it one of my favourite albums...

I always record Jools Holland, so I'll get to see it Later... (get it? Later...?) Oh never mind I've been disappointed with the current series - I don't know if it's the format change, the artists, or my advancing years, but I've not been feeling it lately. Last week with Imelda May and Ronnie Wood I quite liked though. The artists were more in line with my tastes
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Nice dress sense too.....

I'm Ian.

I have three children in their thirties whose remit for Christmas and birthdays is to find me some new music I've never heard of so FKA has been in my collection for some years - agree, great voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Yeah, Alison Goldfrapp's a good shout. New on the radar for me (don't know how I missed her until now), but for me ticks so many boxes as a performer. It's not just about her ethereal-like voice either; it's the whole package - very surreal and 'out there', and the kind of talent we very rarely see now, which is completely divorced from the bland manufactured pap produced today.

This performance of Cellophane is simply spellbinding:

As is her version of Summertime, Live at Maida Vale, including the rest of her mesmerising performaces:

Stunning.... Timbo, this would be right up your street!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Been aware of her for a few years now, bought her debut album when a friend suggested I check out a video by her, Pendulum.

I think she is pretty amazing artist, musician and very original.
    Regards Neil

Stunning video!

She's so creative in all aspects of her work.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Stunning video!

She's so creative in all aspects of her work.

Marco.
    Nods, I agree.
    Regards Neil

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Stunning.... Timbo, this would be right up your street!

Marco.
    I do know her Marco and well spotted to recognise my penchant for female singer/songwriters. Hugely talented yes and very original, but very much not my thing. I'm more a roots, stripped back female singer/songwriter lover, so anything remotely pop oriented, electronic, with overly rich production or the barest whiff of auto-tune, has me running for cover.

This is my thang;

Amythyst Kiah (just this week Grammy nominated) is what I would call stunning, she's mesmerising live. The other artists in that video are all favourites too, especially Allison Russell and Rhiannon Giddens.

Yola, from Bristol (also Grammy nominated this week). You might recall an album choice of mine which folk liked, The Pines by Phantom Limb from Bristol. Yola was the singer, they split some time ago now.

Really loving Lisa O'Neill too, new artist for me this year, but I'm a huge fan. She's a hoot live too. I really like her Marco, but you're going to go WTF

. . . and the likes of Courtney Marie Andrews and all the artists on the new Tom Waits cover album I put in Spinning today . . . I'm not sure anyone here likes any of what I would call my favourite female singer/songwriters.

So as you can see, all very, very different to FKA Twigs! But totally agree she's a talent.

I don't post that much of what I like these days, as I know I'm a lone wolf in the wilderness most of the time when it comes to music likes. Audiophiles, females and GWG as they call them, seem to be at odds - Diana Krall appears the nearest a lot get! Grant comes the closest to playing my kind of music and Werner and I are very much aligned.

I'm not a fan of Bjork either

Good shout though, I think she would be something live if you liked her music and style.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast