+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turntable Matt for Gyrodec?

I'm Michael.

Default Turntable Matt for Gyrodec?

Hi

I have a Gyrodec, and i am terribly lazy. I don't stop the spin when flipping the disc, and I've noticed I have scratched a few LPs doing this.

I was wondering about adding a felt matt to it to prevent this.

Would this be a generally decent idea or is there a better option?

Thanks
    R.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes - the better option is not to be so lazy, and stop the TT when changing the record or 'flipping it over'.

You obviously don't use a record clamp, but I hope you give the record a quick 'wipe' with a record brush (which takes all of 2 seconds). Stopping and restarting the TT doesn't take up too much extra time. A felt mat is just as capable of getting dirty with use, and scratching your records.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Hi

I have a Gyrodec, and i am terribly lazy. I don't stop the spin when flipping the disc, and I've noticed I have scratched a few LPs doing this.

I was wondering about adding a felt matt to it to prevent this.

Would this be a generally decent idea or is there a better option?

Thanks
    R.
    Not a good idea, sorry but that is the way it is, also you will score the platter
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Neil.

The Gyro will sound worse with a mat and you should use the clamp, it sounds better with it.
    Regards Neil

I'm peter.

i use a cork mat , with a rubber base ,,stuck to that ,,about 4 mm thick and have no problems,, but i also dont use a clamp , but a heavy puck

regards pete

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    i use a cork mat , with a rubber base ,,stuck to that ,,about 4 mm thick and have no problems,, but i also dont use a clamp , but a heavy puck

regards pete
    Thanks, I might get a cork and felt matt and see which one works better, or just as good. Cork looks terrible, so I think Ill just try a black felt matt and see how I go,

Its highely unlikely I will ever stop the platter spinning to change the record, hence the reason for my post, I was merely asking for suggestions on the better matts to use if anyone had used them, as there are a lot on the market.

The Gyroclamp is a convoluted process, but I like the puck idea.Although it all sounds wonderful without these things.

I'm Neil.

Thanks, I might get a cork and felt matt and see which one works better, or just as good. Cork looks terrible, so I think Ill just try a black felt matt and see how I go,

Its highely unlikely I will ever stop the platter spinning to change the record, hence the reason for my post, I was merely asking for suggestions on the better matts to use if anyone had used them, as there are a lot on the market.

The Gyroclamp is a convoluted process, but I like the puck idea.Although it all sounds wonderful without these things.
    I hope your arm allows you to adjust VTA, otherwise the adding of a mat will mess up the arm, cart, record surface interface,
    Regards Neil

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    I hope your arm allows you to adjust VTA, otherwise the adding of a mat will mess up the arm, cart, record surface interface,
    This isn't my first rodeo, My SME V has full VTA adjustment.

I'm Neil.

This isn't my first rodeo, My SME V has full VTA adjustment.
    No equipment list so how would I know. A friendly suggestion, as no way of knowing level of knowledge etc.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

Using a puck would be best has you will get better contact of the record to the platter/mat and this is widely accepted as improving the low end control and depth, also if you have a slightly warped record it will flatten it and make it easier for you arm and cartridge to track, also improving things sonically.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast