+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turntable Matt for Gyrodec?

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    No equipment list so how would I know. A friendly suggestion, as no way of knowing level of knowledge etc.
    Cool, it wasn't my question though, so you were not to know as it wasn't strictly relevant to what I was asking. No bother.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Using a puck would be best has you will get better contact of the record to the platter/mat and this is widely accepted as improving the low end control and depth, also if you have a slightly warped record it will flatten it and make it easier for you arm and cartridge to track, also improving things sonically.
    I dont like them myself, everything works well as it is, I am just looking to prevent vinyl damage, so was looking for views on various turntable matts to find a decent felt one to prevent vinyl damage without having to purchase a range to find out myself.

However it does seem that this is the only way to find out, so I'll report back what worked best.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I dont like them myself, everything works well as it is, I am just looking to prevent vinyl damage, so was looking for views on various turntable matts to find a decent felt one to prevent vinyl damage without having to purchase a range to find out myself.

However it does seem that this is the only way to find out, so I'll report back what worked best.
    In my experience a cork on with rubber impregnated particles works best, and they are reasonably priced, you can also get different thicknesses. However different platters can work better with different materials.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm steve.

Changing record sides without stopping the platter is a practice that harks back to early Rega turntables, their dealers used to push the practice as it supposedly gave a longer life to the motor and belt, personally I always thought it was a daft idea.
    As to mats I’ve tried just about everything other than the ridiculously expensive ones, some mats work better on some platter types but not on others.
    I like cork, it seems to work best with metal platters, thick rubber likewise, both damp any ringing effectively.
    I have used the Origin Live mat on metal and MDF platters (Project Debut Carbon and Genie replacing the std thin felt mats) and that works extremely well, being a little under 1mm thick it’s good if you don’t have arm height adjustment, it gave a very taut bass and even mid and treble.
    I still use the OL mat on my Rega P3 but it’s under an acrylic mat, put there to prevent slippage that’s possible with smooth acrylic going onto glass, it also gets the vta spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

Don’t worry about a mat - just work on your record removal and refitting technique which needs to be swift and decisive. The only time I place it remove s record from a stationary platter is if the deck in question is automatic. Otherwise, the platter stays running and I’ve never had any scratch issues, aside from my eczema, of course.

It’s all in the wrist...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12