+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanted: pair of quality 12BH7 valves

I'm Stephen.

Default Wanted: pair of quality 12BH7 valves

As per the title I’m looking for a pair of high quality (preferably NOS) 12BH7’s for my Croft preamp that Glenn has just upgraded to 25RSLS line stage. It now uses 2 12BH7’s so my existing Tungsram is “obsolete”.

What have you got you no longer want?

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Andrew.

I have a few nice ones from my Croft days; I'll dig them out and get back with a list tomorrow

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantears View Post
    I have a few nice ones from my Croft days; I'll dig them out and get back with a list tomorrow
    Thanks - no rush

Always a little further

I'm Karl.

Its gotta be 50s NOS RCA black plates . Nothing ive tried comes close. Amazing upgrade

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Its gotta be 50s NOS RCA black plates . Nothing ive tried comes close. Amazing upgrade

Agree - Glenn installed an RCA when he had my Integrated and upgraded to an active pre-amp

He also suggested a Sylvania as an RCA alternative.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post

Agreed they have a wonderful lush tone but TBH I find them fatiguing after a while. Used them in my old Croft S4S. Same goes for the RCA black plate 5751’s I have. The Raytheon 12BH7 I used was more to my taste but I only have the 1 and need a (preferably) matched pair. I already have a pair of RCA grey plates but they are a bit anodyne and a pair of green print Sylvanias which I’ve not listened to. I’ve just bought a sleeve of 5 Westinghouse 12BH7A’s as the price was right but am still open to other suggestions.

Always a little further

I'm Karl.

Yeah thats fair enough mate , each to their own and all that. I absolutely love that about the RCA personally.

Ive got an old Mullard, a GE and a green label Sylvania(all 60/70s nos i think) and for me they are some way behind the rca

Mullard is much warmer , the GE sounds thinner and the sylvania a tad darker .
    All of them lack the colourful, detailed and holographic/3D sound that the 1956 RCA has .

I hope youve managed to find what your looking for ?

Cheers

Karl
    Last edited by Bigbird; 23-11-2019 at 08:26.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Andrew.

Sorry for the delay. I'm trying to sort out my valves. It looks like the ones I've got spare are all GE, as follows. This is from my notes on the last valve sort:

GE 12BH7A Cryo treated by Watford 66-25, 86-43, 188-5 NOS.

GE 12BH7A SE188-5

GE 12BH7A, as above dated 8/66

GE 12BH7A also dated 8/66 but green print

I'm Steve.

Apparently the 12BH7 double triode is pin compatible with the ECC81, ECC82 and ECC83 series from Mullard but has slightly different characteristics. Brimar give the intended use as TV frame oscillator and frame output. The construction is compatible with audio through to low VHF use.

+ Reply to Thread