+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two arms on the Kenwood KD-990!

I'm Hugo.

Default Two arms on the Kenwood KD-990!

Speedy Steve of Magna Audio made me up a new swinging armboard, for fitting a second arm to my old and lovely Kenwood KD-990 turntable. The new board is now fitted and here is the result:

There is only just enough space for the 10" Jelco TK-850M at the rear of the deck, but it does swing freely without hitting the back wall. The armboard turns easily and I can fit a 9" arm in that position, so the Glanz MH-94S might go on in due course - hearing a lowly SPU in that arm is really quite special.

The old FR-64S (Phonomac refurbished) is sporting a stainless steel mass damper, also made for me by Speedy Steve. This little tweak works a treat on FR arms and brings its performance up noticeably, and approaching that of the Glanz, but the Glanz is a far better sounding arm, albeit at a price.

Eagle eyes might notice in the first picture the new Zavfino 1877Phono Weight, which is now in stock in my shop, priced at £89. These simple and no-nonsense record weights are beautifully finished and weigh a modest 250g, which is enough to damp a record but not enough to upset a turntable's suspension or bearing. They do work and I could not produce something as finely finished and effective for this money.

I'm Martin.

Very nice, can't beat an SPU on a Jelco :-)

I'm Hugo.

A bit of arm swapping here at Ammonite Audio, so the old Kenwood KD-990 is now sporting the 12" Reed 3P (Cocobolo arm wand) and a 9" Glanz MH-94S at the back. The Reed has a natural affinity for the Miyajima Shilabe, having just enough mass (20g effective mass) to get this lovely cartridge singing, and it does just that. Until Speedy Steve's new rear armboard came along, I could never fit a 9" arm to the Kenwood, so this is the first time that the Glanz has been on it, and even with a lowly Ortofon SPU#1S cartridge the pedigree of this arm is clear to hear - although a bit 'niche' because of its high mass I do believe that there is no finer tonearm. Yes, it's very expensive but its physical quality is amazing and in terms of sound and music it does show my restored FR-64S a very clean pair of heels. I'll be putting the SPU Synergy on the Glanz at some point, and that should be lovely.

I'm Michael.

+1 for the Glanz. I‘m enjoying my Glanz with a SPU 95 Anniversary. Every SPU I tried so far (GM MkII, GME MkII, Meister Silver) sang it‘s heart out mounted on the Glanz.
    If someone wants to know what a SPU can do a Glanz MH (94s, 104s or 124s) will show him. It‘s the most enjoyable piece of equipment I ever owned!

+ Reply to Thread