+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Micro-Seiki CDM-2 - partial dissection

I'm Nobody.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

10mm...

I wonder if 10,000uF 35V would be ok instead of the 6,800uF 25V in there already? Total overkill for a CD player, but not too expensive and they'd be the same size, give or take - the existing ones are 30mm diameter.

I've been enjoying LP's in the meantime, but need the CD player back.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Would be ok and would work,but may change the tonal balance IMO.Perhaps for the better though,try it and see.More capacitance is not always better,but YMMV.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Ali & Andr'e, Vishay do some 6800uF 25V ones the right size and low ESR. Would these be worth considering?

Right - replacement transistor arrived today, so I took a deep breath and fitted it the way I think it should be judging by the bent centre pin of the one removed...

Prior to closing, I removed the second copper can from the top and took a pic for posterity -

Here are the feet used for this model (the CD-M100 used pneumatic feet I understand)

Finally, small images of the knackered and corroded transistor-

Apologies for all the pics, but hopefully this sorry tale will help the lucky few other owners of Micro Seiki CD players.

Finally, I still have a faint rustling on the audio output. I'm hoping that this is supply caps getting tired

I'm David.

Final piccie instalment. The cracking noise is still there on the balanced output, so I tried the phono outs, labelled as "Output 2" on the back panel. Very faint rustling but no cracking.

I took the top off and started again, dismounting the added balnced output board..

Note the larger than average CD94 green caps around the DAC chip [TDA1541A] and loads of Elna cerafine caps (I believe the Philips and Marantz models used them too). The designers of this donor chassis did try hard at the time IMO but by today's standards it all seems so complex.

To close, it's been said that modern cheaper machines pee all over a CD94 and it wouldn't surprise me, but it would be a shame to ditch such a solidly built machine IMO.

P.S. I still haven't totally cleared the noise, so it's got to be either a noisy transistor in the power supply (it's on both channels) or a faulty cap which I have no way of locating. When I can, I'll buy an Alpha 5 CD player or similar and do it up for fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234