+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Main cables advice

I'm Phil.

Thanks stuart and barry for some useful information . phil.
    Phil.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    You could use an IEC distribution block and use cables with C13 at one end and C14 at the other end. Now the only fuse you will have is in the mains plug which is connected to the IEC distribution block. This is the minimum you can use without getting yourself in to trouble in the event of a fire caused by using plugs with no fuse.
    It really is NOT a sensible idea to have no fused plug and it WILL invalidate your house insurance should a fire happen because you have no fuse. Just for clarity, the fuse in the plug is to protect the cable, not to protect the equipment - the equipment fuse is there to do that job.
    Yes an IEC distribution strip/block is an equally acceptable alternative.

Agree regarding the use of a fused BS1363 mains plug between the wall socket and the distribution strip. Also I would be wary of using 'fancy' fuses. If they are not marked with the BS kite mark, or are at least marked as conforming to BS1362, then avoid. Also be aware there are many cheap counterfeit fuses for sale, that are unsafe - caveat emptor. Insurance companies will often look at these things when a claim is made.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12