+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone watching out for Black Friday?

I'm Grant.

If your after something anyway then why not use it if it saves money?
    It shouldn't be used to just spend money tho, just to grab a bargain.
    I never bought anything so far. Well a watc h but it wasn't in the bf.
    The boy saved 70 on the thing he got me. He was getting it anyway tho.
    Last edited by struth; 22-11-2019 at 22:54.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

As I said above, on the lookout for Amazon Echo Show devices - was hoping to get Echo Show 5 (5" screen) at £50 a pop, (saving £30) and indeed they are - but Echo Show 8 (8"screen - surprise, surprise!) is £60 each - down from £120 (half-price, if you're not good a maths, a 50% saving) so two of those duly ordered - albeit you can only order one per Amazon account (wife has separate account.)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    As I said above, on the lookout for Amazon Echo Show devices - was hoping to get Echo Show 5 (5" screen) at £50 a pop, (saving £30) and indeed they are - but Echo Show 8 (8"screen - surprise, surprise!) is £60 each - down from £120 (half-price, if you're not good a maths, a 50% saving) so two of those duly ordered - albeit you can only order one per Amazon account (wife has separate account.)
    What does Echo Show do which the regular Echo devices can't do? OK - it's got a screen, but what can you do with it? It's also got a camera, so like most electronics these days it's capable of invading privacy and spying on you - but then you know that and signed up for it!
    Dave

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    What does Echo Show do which the regular Echo devices can't do? OK - it's got a screen, but what can you do with it? It's also got a camera, so like most electronics these days it's capable of invading privacy and spying on you - but then you know that and signed up for it!
    Absolutely. Fork out cash to install a snooping device in your own home. Madness.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Absolutely. Fork out cash to install a snooping device in your own home. Madness.
    I agree, but there might be benefits for some. The Echo Show might work for people who want to make up a shopping list over a short period of time, or for leaving messages for others. I don't know whether the Echo system will allow similar note taking features to be done via a tablet or a computer - in which case there'd be little point in buying yet another device.

Re the snooping/privacy - I am concerned, but I can concede that for some people the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Just don't make any problematic statements anywhere near an echo device - whether or not the keyword "Alexa" is activated. Don't imagine that these devices will only be capable of action when the keyword is said, or the device is not enabled. The only way to be sure, if they're installed in a house, is to power them off - unplug them.
    Dave

montesquieu Guest

I agree, but there might be benefits for some. The Echo Show might work for people who want to make up a shopping list over a short period of time, or for leaving messages for others. I don't know whether the Echo system will allow similar note taking features to be done via a tablet or a computer - in which case there'd be little point in buying yet another device.

Re the snooping/privacy - I am concerned, but I can concede that for some people the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Just don't make any problematic statements anywhere near an echo device - whether or not the keyword "Alexa" is activated. Don't imagine that these devices will only be capable of action when the keyword is said, or the device is not enabled. The only way to be sure, if they're installed in a house, is to power them off - unplug them.
    I can't see the benefit at all, frankly. Except perhaps to Amazon. Only a complete muppet can't make a shopping list on a notepad or even take a note on the phone, most smartphones (which surely anyone in the market for Alexa has already) have voice recording if people can't write or type for some reason. Ditto voicemail. Obviously the vapid early adopters will lap them up but as a mass market device it's purely for the saddos.

I saw some research posted recently - need to try and find it again - which showed massive resistance among people in general at being forced to use voice interfaces when contacting call centres etc. Most people hate voice interfaces. There will always be a few exceptions who take childish delight in the fact that technology works at all but for the masses it's not going to happen.

I'm Grant.

im giving my two alexas for xmas. i dont use them and they have been unplugged for ages..more trouble than worth for me, although i can see their uses as well, especially for background music audiobooks etc
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I can't see the benefit at all, frankly. Except perhaps to Amazon. Only a complete muppet can't make a shopping list on a notepad or even take a note on the phone, most smartphones (which surely anyone in the market for Alexa has already) have voice recording if people can't write or type for some reason. Ditto voicemail. Obviously the vapid early adopters will lap them up but as a mass market device it's purely for the saddos.
    There's never a notepad, or working pen or even a pencil when/where one needs one.

I saw some research posted recently - need to try and find it again - which showed massive resistance among people in general at being forced to use voice interfaces when contacting call centres etc. Most people hate voice interfaces. There will always be a few exceptions who take childish delight in the fact that technology works at all but for the masses it's not going to happen.
    I was surprised a couple of times very recently to make phone calls to check on problems with accounts, that I was asked to say my account number, rather than punch it in on a keypad. Even more surprised that the technology worked, and it was quicker than trying to push buttons.

Bakers can find voice operated services useful - for example to set timers - without having to stop, wash and dry their hands. So there are uses.

Car mechanics and car and bike DIYers (if there are still any) might find voice operated services useful also, for similar reasons.

What I don't like is the way the voice operated services work by sending information to servers, very possibly on the other side of the Atlantic. Most of the data is very probably not of any interest at all to almost everyone, and doesn't present any privacy problems, but some might.
    Dave

I'm Geoff.

Car mechanics and car and bike DIYers (if there are still any) might find voice operated services useful also, for similar reasons.
    I've got one. It's got voice recognition and does all that's required. It's called 'The Wife'.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

unlucky you
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast