+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone watching out for Black Friday?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've got one. It's got voice recognition and does all that's required. It's called 'The Wife'.
    Indeed. With infinite, infallabile memory, no backup required.

I'm Dave.

I've got one. It's got voice recognition and does all that's required. It's called 'The Wife'.
    So do you say “the wife: play Radio 4” or “the wife: timer 5 minutes or “the wife: what’s the weather today?”?
    Dave

montesquieu Guest

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I can't see the benefit at all, frankly. Except perhaps to Amazon. Only a complete muppet can't make a shopping list on a notepad or even take a note on the phone, most smartphones (which surely anyone in the market for Alexa has already) have voice recording if people can't write or type for some reason. Ditto voicemail. Obviously the vapid early adopters will lap them up but as a mass market device it's purely for the saddos.

I saw some research posted recently - need to try and find it again - which showed massive resistance among people in general at being forced to use voice interfaces when contacting call centres etc. Most people hate voice interfaces. There will always be a few exceptions who take childish delight in the fact that technology works at all but for the masses it's not going to happen.
    Ahh, how comforting . . . the magnanimous prophecies of Tom
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    So do you say “the wife: play Radio 4” or “the wife: timer 5 minutes or “the wife: what’s the weather today?”?
    No. 'The Wife' is preemptive and chimes in spontaneously with things like "would you like a cup of tea?". To which I respond in the affirmative.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Ahh, how comforting . . . the magnanimous prophecies of Tom
    Like I said only a total muppet signs up for something like this:

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ish-passwords/

I'm Steve.

No. 'The Wife' is preemptive and chimes in spontaneously with things like "would you like a cup of tea?". To which I respond in the affirmative.
    But their "skills" are quite limited, and they need rebooting occasionally when they start acting up...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

No, mine is self rebooting. It will announce "I'm going shopping" and after a bit of downtime whilst completing this, will return to full functionality.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

No, mine is self rebooting. It will announce "I'm going shopping" and after a bit of downtime whilst completing this, will return to full functionality.
    The only problem is the cost. Much more expensive than an Alexa.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

If anyone is interested, the best deal is on the Echo Show 8 - half-price at £60. (Only £10 more that the Show 5 - difference being screen size (8" vs. 5")

I don't get why there is a difference between a PC, phone or "smart speaker" - you're sending information across the internet - whether it's voice or keystrokes, someone will be trying to work out a way to intercept them for dodgy purposes.

Anyway, being a "saddo" and "total muppet" I'll not comment any further.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast