+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A totally new British amplifier.. A challenge?

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Josie,
    As others have said, its very difficult to find components manufactured in the UK, but its very posible to manufacture a completed product with everything sourced in and from the UK, and its something i have always Believed in since i started producing Amplifiers over 20 years ago now. Cost play's a big part in being able to make products competetive, however; that has never bothered me, for me the finnished product costs what it does, because of what's gone into making it, and the ethics behind the whole process.
    I hope this helps.
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I agree in regards to base materials, some materials are only found in certain parts of the globe.

But surely they manufacture parts here? And are proud to do so too? For example, charcroft, claritycap...?

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Dave.

Rega manufacture everything in the UK right down to the packaging. Of course not every component is UK, I think that would be impossible nowadays but all assembled in Southend.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Hi Josie,
    As others have said, its very difficult to find components manufactured in the UK, but its very posible to manufacture a completed product with everything sourced from the UK, and its something i have always Believed in since i started producing Amplifiers over 20 years ago now. Cost play's a big part in being able to make products competetive, however; that has never bothered me, for me the finnished product costs what it does, because of what's gone into it, and the ethics behind the whole process.
    A...
    Hi Anthony.

Indeed. It was just interesting to know if Britain could still make a truly home grown unit.

I guess it was when I was looking through some old valves. Most are mullard and I also found some mullard tropical fish caps.

So I wondered if there are still enough resources around in the UK to build an amplifier.

I'm not looking for one, just thought it would be interesting... Lol

Love my copper.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I believe resistors and semiconductors are still manufactured in the UK, but the companies involved are not necessarily UK owned.

I'm not sure if any capacitors are made in the UK.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    A few of us have been doing this for quite a while now, I can think of three other small outlet manufacturers that designs and construct in this country using as many of the home grown parts as they can. These are very niche companies but have a small dedicated following, never going to make it as a large player, but then they do not wish to I suspect.

Difficult when it comes to caps and really decent FET's, etc and quality casework that is produced in the UK at a price that the majority buying public would wish to pay.

With our own amplifiers, around 45% is British manufactured components the reason so many amps (who's ever badge is on them) are Chinese manufactured simply do to cost and potential profit margins.

Its a balance of running a business and keeping potential customer happy, not an easy task
    That's interesting... I didn't know that.

You see, independently made components made by individuals rather than companies is another interesting point.

I'm sure there are guys out there who can make stuff.

But when I was making my crossovers I couldn't find anyone to make me coils or resistors so even though I tried to source 100% everything from the UK it wasn't possible.

I guess it's who you know.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I believe resistors and semiconductors are still manufactured in the UK, but the companies involved are not necessarily UK owned.

I'm not sure if any capacitors are made in the UK.
    I think Claritycap are make in the UK.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I think Claritycap are make in the UK.

Yes, you are correct. But are they UK owned? It's difficult to tell from their website.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, you are correct. But are they UK owned? It's difficult to tell from their website.
    Hmm.. True. I've no idea. Maybe someone here knows?

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Grant.

if it were im sure they'd boast about it..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

We already have a company that designs and manufactures an amplifier in Britain, in fact he has a whole range and his business is entirely based in the UK.

CROFT.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast