+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A totally new British amplifier.. A challenge?

I'm Dave.

But not all components are UK made as per the OP.

I'm Geoff.

Has there ever been an all British amplifier?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    But not all components are UK made as per the OP.
    It will be a tough challenge to manufacture from all UK components especially at a price that was commercially viable.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The question is not only whether the design and manufacture is made in the UK, but if the components used are also manufactured in the UK. And that would include valves as well as semiconductors.

DNM design their amps (and capacitor and cables) in the UK, but I think they are made in Switzerland.

Naim products are, I believe, still made in the UK, but the semiconductors are sourced outside the UK.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    It will be a tough challenge to manufacture from all UK components especially at a price that was commercially viable.
    Exactly but that was the original question.

There are some companies who design and build in the UK but they have to use some components from abroad, such as Rega, Croft, EAR.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Has there ever been an all British amplifier?
    I have a Sugden C51 preamp, and all the components look to be UK made: Colvern potentiometers; Mullard capacitors; Ferranti semiconductors; Bulgin mains connectors. The resistors are uncertain, as are the RCA and DIN connectors.
    Barry

I'm Rob.

You can make your own amp here in the UK. You can use LM3886 or LM3875 from Texas Instruments. Most of the amps made with these chips use the stock TI schematic and values. However as the name suggests these chips are from Dallas, Texas. You can source all the required components (of which there are few) from a reliable supplier like Farnell etc and (hopefully) you will not get any fakes. They sound far far better than the cost of the parts would suggest. There have been many manufacturers that have used these in their amps. There are some that shy away from DIY perhaps due to the "oh they can't be as good as a well designed professionally made amp.....can they" school, or that they can look like the back end of a bus if not cased nicely.

If the chip company has done the hard work of making a circuit that is stable the other bits that can be tweaked are for window dressing.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Tony.

This is the point, there will always be a parts (s) that you will not be able to source from the UK, yes you could have it made (we wind all our own Tx's and print/mill our circuit boards, but use another country's components to a greater degree.

Example some of the best audio FET's are sold and marketed here in the UK however they are made for said company in another country.

Designing an amp is not always using a well known chip manufacturers off the shelf device, so the amount of fully discrete circuitry and supporting cast require to do the job that are actually UK is properly pretty low.

Both Sonneteer and Renaissance amplification are wholly British entities and make all of their products here and the majority of there products use as many UK built or source items as they can.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Exactly but that was the original question.

There are some companies who design and build in the UK but they have to use some components from abroad, such as Rega, Croft, EAR.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I can think of One uk capacitor manufacturer LCR, they used to be just up the road from me [well a few miles] I think they are still there, they still make Caps anyway, and i have visited them in the past to discuss products etc.
    Again as others have said, its a juggling act trying to make an all British product to sell comercialy as cost will play a huge part, as Mr C has pointed out, However, you can still make an [almost] all British product if cost is not the main issue, there are companies in the UK that can make Transformers, Casework, Wire, even Capacitors and other components, that will satisfy the needs of even the most demanding Audio designers and engineers etc.
    As for truly all british amps from the past, i can think of a few, but again, if we were to examine every component, and what materials went into them, we would posibly find flaws, all depends on how deep you want to delve!
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast