+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A totally new British amplifier.. A challenge?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Josie.

Default A totally new British amplifier.. A challenge?

Hi all.

This has been a question I've been thinking about for some time. In these days of china manufacturing almost everything is it still possible to make an amplifier which is constructed from components made and sourced in the UK.

I guess this could be a challenge for someone but if it was to be a challenge NOS materials would be accepted.

From the smallest component to the case work it would all have to be from and made in the UK.

So, is this possible? If so, what kind of quality would it reach in the grand scheme of things?

What are the main problematic areas one would face?

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Chris.

That's a great challenge, but could get complex as to exactly what is a British manufacturer

Would Zetex for instance to supply the transistors, qualify ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zetex_Semiconductors

As they are UK based but were acquired by Diodes incorporated Dallas USA in 2008
    but have a listing on the London Stock Exchange.

I'm James.

Designed and assembled in Britain would be a good start?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Chris.

Sugden appear as at least one remaining, entirely British based manufacturer of amplifiers.

https://www.sugdenaudio.com/current

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

This has been a question I've been thinking about for some time. In these days of china manufacturing almost everything is it still possible to make an amplifier which is constructed from components made and sourced in the UK.

I guess this could be a challenge for someone but if it was to be a challenge NOS materials would be accepted.

From the smallest component to the case work it would all have to be from and made in the UK.

So, is this possible? If so, what kind of quality would it reach in the grand scheme of things?

What are the main problematic areas one would face?

Everything you need for an amplifier is already available in the UK and made by British companies.

The biggest issue they face, or that amp builder face, is the fact China can do it so mucv cheaper than we can. Including postage.

Most likely because the chinese companys don't pay a living wage but also as important is the fact most British made items Include a high premium for being..... British made.

I recently went to buy an insert Stove. The company that designs them is in Dudley. The design them, get them fabricated of site and then assemble them back in Dudley.

The stove is £700.

I went to a fireplace shop the other days to pick a new fireplace and the guy won't install our stove because it's "made in China". I explained, he didn't care.

Instead he offered us a British one of exactly the same spec. The price.... £1400. Yes, double.

Why anyone would buy British for the fact its British is beyond me.

I'm Josie.

Okay, interesting.

I guess a caveat would be that it would need to be designed and assembled here too.

I guess there is quite a lot of confusion to what is made in the UK and assembled in the UK.

Do sugden use components made in China?

Also, price wise I guess that would be another interesting factor but for this it's not important. The question is can it be done?

As for bought out companies. I'd not include them at them moment.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Chris.

Okay, interesting.

I guess a caveat would be that it would need to be designed and assembled here too.

I guess there is quite a lot of confusion to what is made in the UK and assembled in the UK.

Do sugden use components made in China?

Also, price wise I guess that would be another interesting factor but for this it's not important. The question is can it be done?

As for bought out companies. I'd not include them at them moment.

Hi Josie
    I have written to Sugden to hopefully reply directly to the forum- if they meet the challenge.
    I will relay what they say, if their reply is instead direct to me.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Deleted.

Nobody makes an electronic component that is absolutely 100% manufactured in the UK. The biggest single stumbling blocks are the electronic components and I very much doubt it is even possible to source every component from a UK manufacturer (and certainly not a UK owned and UK based manufacturer).
    Account Deleted

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Nobody makes an electronic component that is absolutely 100% manufactured in the UK. The biggest single stumbling blocks are the electronic components and I very much doubt it is even possible to source every component from a UK manufacturer (and certainly not a UK owned and UK based manufacturer).
    I agree in regards to base materials, some materials are only found in certain parts of the globe.

But surely they manufacture parts here? And are proud to do so too? For example, charcroft, claritycap...?

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Josie,
    As others have said, its very difficult to find components manufactured in the UK, but its very posible to manufacture a completed product with everything sourced in and from the UK, and its something i have always Believed in since i started producing Amplifiers over 20 years ago now. Cost play's a big part in being able to make products competetive, however; that has never bothered me, for me the finnished product costs what it does, because of what's gone into making it, and the ethics behind the whole process.
    I hope this helps.
    A...
    I agree in regards to base materials, some materials are only found in certain parts of the globe.

But surely they manufacture parts here? And are proud to do so too? For example, charcroft, claritycap...?

"Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast