+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlas Cables Question

I'm Shane.

Default Atlas Cables Question

Not wishing to be rude. But this got me wondering.

Does Atlas make their cables themselves from scratch? Or do they purchase the wire copper reel from wholesalers? Then to be re-packed and marketed etc.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Steve.

Good morning Shane, Atlas are a Scottish engineering firm which, as far as I can tell, make all their cables from scratch, rather than just assemble stuff from outside sources. Whatever, I know I'm more than happy with my Hyper 3.0 speaker cables
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dave.

They buy the cable and wire in and make them.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Good morning Shane, Atlas are a Scottish engineering firm which, as far as I can tell, make all their cables from scratch, rather than just assemble stuff from outside sources. Whatever, I know I'm more than happy with my Hyper 3.0 speaker cables
    Steve, as far as I am aware very few companies, if any, that sell hifi cables actually make then in house, extruding and making cables of any sort requires some very expensive equipment. Most will buy it in and make up what they sell. I suppose some may work with a cable manufacturer to specify a particular metallurgic make up.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Shane.

I hope Atlas doesn't cheat and use Van Damme wire and just stamp their name over it. I'm possibly thinking about getting Atlas cables someday to replace my Van Damme.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Steve, as far as I am aware very few companies, if any, that sell hifi cables actually make then in house, extruding and making cables of any sort requires some very expensive equipment. Most will buy it in and make up what they sell. I suppose some may work with a cable manufacturer to specify a particular metallurgic make up.
    Cheers Adrian! And with no sarcasm - I would much rather be corrected than go around with a mistaken belief I re-read Atlas' sales guff on their website, and it did look a bit ambiguous. And it certainly would take some expensive wherewithal to fabricate the cables from raw materials.

Does seem to me that they turn out some quality stuff though
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dominic.

They are a great company to deal with and they do make their cables from scratch. I spend a long time yapping with them at the brissol show every year.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Shane.

That's nice to hear, Dominic.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Looking at their website, it is not obvious that they do make the cable, that is extrude and draw the conductors along with the dielectric insulation and wind/braid the shielding/screen. What they do do is to cold weld the connectors to the cable, which may be their USP.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Atlas has its roots in the UK distribution of PCOCC cables, those branded Furakawa. John Carrick was that distributor and was the head guy at Atlas till he retired a few years ago.

Atlas have their cables made for them to their specification, with final assembly in Scotland. Thats as much as I know. Their customer care is very good, even with items out of warranty.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast