+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

I'm Andy.

Default Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

My brother-in-law is 50 in December and years ago I mentioned to my sister that I would source a turntable system for his birthday as he was using a horrible plastic faux Dansette type player.......

So - I managed to source an L78 in a Dynatron chassis with built-in amp and inputs for a tape player and radio for the cost of picking it up about 6 months ago :angel:

Got it home and the v-blocks were perished but the basics seemed to be there so plonked it in the garage ready to look at it some time soon.
    Time flies by and before you know it December is just around the corner so I thought I need to pull my finger out.
    I bought some v-blocks last year and put them somewhere safe - can I find them...... nope
    Werner on from the Lenco Heaven forum (Wer) came to the rescue and had a pair of the cheap Chinese ones that he was willing to give to me and get the TT up and running until I can find the good v-blocks - still looking.

The other week I pulled it out from the garage and gave it a good clean and went to town with the computer service spray on the switches and the circuit boards after I had powered it up and the volume control was very noisy.

A few pictures of the interior:

As mentioned above, replaced the v-blocks with the Chinese ones and heres a few pics:

Also re-did the bearing with a new ball bearing and thrust pad plus fresh oil.
    Pulled the motor out and gave that a quick service to - ran very smooth and silent!

Connected to my speakers and plugged into the mains then power applied - moving the volume, balance and other buttons and all good regarding crackles and pops coming through the speakers (or not as was the case).
    Put a record on and it sounded good for about 5 seconds then the sound went all mushy. Lifted the arm up and put it down and again, sounded good for about 5 seconds. It still had the original cartridge in so not surprised.
    From the pics can anyone tell me what it is (I know it's a Goldring one) and worth saving?

Removed the offending cartridge and replaced it with a spare A&R P77 I had and had another go of playing the record.
    It sounded very good indeed

I had an old DIN to 4 RCA socket cables which used to be connected to an old tape deck so pulled out my old but trusted CD player and connected it to the tape DIN socket and it worked with a very nice sound.

A nice sounding deck. Put the lid back on and just need to get another cartridge (unless the Goldring just needs a new stylus - if you can still get them) and sort out some speakers and jobs a good un'

Thanks for looking
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Andy.

Continuing the build for the brother-in-law, I dug out the old Heybrook HB1's I had in the garage (bought these new in 1985) which I had re-foamed many years ago and hooked them up to the Lenco system - right speaker sounded pants to say the least

Pic of the speakers as they were when taken out and placed on some stands:

I remembered that some time back I had bought a pair of woofers off one of the guys on the Lenco Heaven forum with the intention of building another pair with better cabinets and this was still on the list - so decided to swap these in and see if it made a difference.
    Guess what, it did and it sounded great so replaced the other woofer also:

Pic with the replacement woofers:

So - just need a cartridge and tidy up the speaker cabinets and all done

When checking the original woofers I noticed that the cone/magnet was far back so no wonder they sounded distorted - probably need another re-foaming

And a pic of one of the HB's on its stand

Really impressed with the sound you get from the old system and the speakers (almost tempted to tell my sister that I will give a few quid to go and buy something......)

Thanks for looking
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Andy.

100+ views and no comments

Asking about cartridge and speaker cone advice. No one can help then with all the experts on here??
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Alan.

I'm guessing the cart is a Goldring G800.
    I have one that looks very similar in a drawer doing nothing, it's yours if you want it.

The Dynatron stuff was good for its day.

I'm Geoff.

Yes, it looks like a G800. If it sounded OK with the Dynatron when new, I'd expect it to again with a new (pattern?) stylus.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andy.

Thanks both.
    Alan - will take you up on the cartridge - will PM you and thanks.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Andy.

Delivered the system to my brother-in-law today - to say he was surprised and chuffed is an understatement
    Sounded good on the temporary stand - my sister was going to get something to put it on but didn't want to give the game away.

In its new location (until the new unit arrives)

Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Geoff.

Looks ideal.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andy.

Thanks Geoff
    With help from Firebottle (sent me a G800 cartridge FoC) it sounds very good so with a cartridge and arm upgrade will sound even better!
    A good result.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.