+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nagaoka Cartridges

I'm Clint.

Default Nagaoka Cartridges

HI All

Currently running a Nagaoka MP200 on my Rega RP6 & love it to bits. Had a demo this week of my next deck upgrade which will be an ex demo Notts Analogue Hyperspace with Ace Space arm, absolutely loved it. I'm not interested in going the mc route yet, would prefer to get the Hyperspace. Just wondering if there are any folk on here who have jumped from the Nagaoka MP200 to the MP500 & would care to give me their verdict on the difference between the two. The dealer with the Hyperspace also stocks Nagaoka & can do me an MP500 for a good price. I do like my MP200 though, just a lovely musical mm cartridge. Thanks in advance folks.

Regards

Clint H

Hibster_2000 Guest

MP500 replacement stylus cost has always put me off, especially with the publicised life expectancy figures if I am honest.

I'm Steve.

Owned numerous Nagaoka cartridges over the years. In fact my son was still using one till recently that i bought from Gilson Audio (Middlesbrough) in 1983 and it still sounds musical. I would describe them as bright and breezy

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I can't answer your question directly, but several years ago I went from an MP-15 to an MP-30 (2 rungs up, same as you are considering) and it was an improvement - at the time I said it was still the same "house sound" but a bit more of everything. If you like the Nagaoka sound, I don't think you'll be disappointed moving higher up the range.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint H View Post
    HI All

Currently running a Nagaoka MP200 on my Rega RP6 & love it to bits. Had a demo this week of my next deck upgrade which will be an ex demo Notts Analogue Hyperspace with Ace Space arm, absolutely loved it. I'm not interested in going the mc route yet, would prefer to get the Hyperspace. Just wondering if there are any folk on here who have jumped from the Nagaoka MP200 to the MP500 & would care to give me their verdict on the difference between the two. The dealer with the Hyperspace also stocks Nagaoka & can do me an MP500 for a good price. I do like my MP200 though, just a lovely musical mm cartridge. Thanks in advance folks.

Regards

Clint H
    I have used the MP200 for the past year, just changed the stylus on mine, was only £130 direct from Japan, was very pleased when I moved to this cart from the Denon dl110. So bought another replacement stylus ready for next year, at £130 be silly not to. What made you move to the Notts hyper from the RP6? I use a Notts Interspace, with a thicker than standard platter, was apparently discontinued due to the platter being uneconomic to produce at that size, arm is Jelco 750, though I've just bought a unipivot arm for it - Roksan Nima, which I hope matches it better, as I'm finding the Jelco/NAS combo a bit strident. BTW replacement stylus for the MP500 direct from Japan are only £230 on ebay, strange as the cheapest whole carts I could find were almost £600. I'd be tempted to buy one though just because of how cheap replacement carts are, I play 2-5 hrs daily, so just replace mine annually.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGAOKA-J...sAAOSwdhla6Znk
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster_2000 View Post
    MP500 replacement stylus cost has always put me off, especially with the publicised life expectancy figures if I am honest.
    £230?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm jamie.

No way are mp 500 stylus’s £230
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Hibster_2000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    £230?
    £360 at Analogue Seduction.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    No way are mp 500 stylus’s £230
    That's what I paid a couple of years ago.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

He's getting them direct from Japan hence the lower price...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast