+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nagaoka Cartridges

I'm Mike.

One stylus but two styli or styluses. No apostrophes. Also interested in the MP500 as a possible mm replacement for my under-used Ortofon VMS20E2, as I believe that is the 'refined' model comparatively. Have looked at the Nag. ladder and there's no clearly described distinction between the models that I can find, though there must be steps in superiority.

I'm Clint.

I still have my RP6 at the moment, spinning some Grateful Dead on it now as I write this message. Thanks for the link to the Nagaoka replacement stylus Mike, most appreciated. A local dealer carries the Notts Analogue decks, he really rates them. I had a recent demo with the Rega P8 which I thought was superb (I really like Rega decks) along with the Interspace Junior & Space Deck. Hadn't heard a Notts deck until this demo & I thought the Space Deck was the best, just loved the way it played music & got out of the way of the system. I was going to get an Ace Space deck but I have been offered an ex demo Hyperspace at a REALLY great price, had a demo last week & was very impressed. My pragmatic side is saying get the Ace Space but my heart is saying get the Hyperspace. Must admit I did like the Hyperspace, just more of everything. Re the stylus from Japan, do you pay import tax on them? Cheers Mike.

Clint H

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I have used the MP200 for the past year, just changed the stylus on mine, was only £130 direct from Japan, was very pleased when I moved to this cart from the Denon dl110. So bought another replacement stylus ready for next year, at £130 be silly not to. What made you move to the Notts hyper from the RP6? I use a Notts Interspace, with a thicker than standard platter, was apparently discontinued due to the platter being uneconomic to produce at that size, arm is Jelco 750, though I've just bought a unipivot arm for it - Roksan Nima, which I hope matches it better, as I'm finding the Jelco/NAS combo a bit strident. BTW replacement stylus for the MP500 direct from Japan are only £230 on ebay, strange as the cheapest whole carts I could find were almost £600. I'd be tempted to buy one though just because of how cheap replacement carts are, I play 2-5 hrs daily, so just replace mine annually.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGAOKA-J...sAAOSwdhla6Znk

I'm Clint.

Default Nagaoka Cartridges

I contacted Penny at Nottingham Analogue with a couple of Hyperspace questions last week & it turns out that they can supply Nagaoka cartridges, she highly recommended them with NAS decks. It's looking like a no brainer people. Thank you for all the replies, most appreciated. MP200 sounding so good on my RP6 right now!!

Cheers

Clint H

Hibster_2000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clint H View Post
    I still have my RP6 at the moment, spinning some Grateful Dead on it now as I write this message. Thanks for the link to the Nagaoka replacement stylus Mike, most appreciated. A local dealer carries the Notts Analogue decks, he really rates them. I had a recent demo with the Rega P8 which I thought was superb (I really like Rega decks) along with the Interspace Junior & Space Deck. Hadn't heard a Notts deck until this demo & I thought the Space Deck was the best, just loved the way it played music & got out of the way of the system. I was going to get an Ace Space deck but I have been offered an ex demo Hyperspace at a REALLY great price, had a demo last week & was very impressed. My pragmatic side is saying get the Ace Space but my heart is saying get the Hyperspace. Must admit I did like the Hyperspace, just more of everything. Re the stylus from Japan, do you pay import tax on them? Cheers Mike.

Clint H
    If your package gets inspected, you will pay import duty, and quite possibly a handling charge.
    Also bear in mind that if there is a problem with the item, then you will have very little chance of getting it sorted.
    You pay your money, and take your choice as if you want dealer backup or if you are happy to take the risk. I have never had a problem with any stylus received through the post.

I'm Clint.

Thanks for the info Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster_2000 View Post
    If your package gets inspected, you will pay import duty, and quite possibly a handling charge.
    Also bear in mind that if there is a problem with the item, then you will have very little chance of getting it sorted.
    You pay your money, and take your choice as if you want dealer backup or if you are happy to take the risk. I have never had a problem with any stylus received through the post.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint H View Post

Clint H
    Emmm, I wonder is there that much difference between the hyper/space decks? I've imported 1 cart and 2 styluses (thanks Mike Reed!) from Japan now via Ebay and I've managed to avoid import taxes, luck or may'be the Japenese sellers know what to put on the declarations form? I never noticed. Worth a punt I'd say. Not sure the MP500 is worth the £400 increase in cost myself, it is a huge jump, but then styli (thanks Mike Reed!) are only £230! Look out for a used MP500! I'm gonna have to send my TT back to NAS this week so they can fit an arm board for my new tonearm - the Nima, they are very nice people there.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    .... and 2 styluses (thanks Mike Reed!) ........ styli (thanks Mike Reed!)

I'm Mike.

Special offer from a Canadian ebay seller - only £500!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nagaoka-M...cAAOSw9T9dGl8z
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Laurie.

I keep a 500 as a spare for when mc carts are being retipped, sound is bit old fashioned, [in a good way]lovely rich bottom end, lots of energy. Vg vfm

I'm Michael.

Buy it from Amazon from a seller in Japan, ask the seller the declare as $15 and a Gift. No duty or handling charges to pay.

Its what every sensible person does. There are also German sellers who sell them very cheap also, and theres no issues with value declarations in the EU.

Thats where my MP500 came from for £350, and it is the best moving magnet cart I have ever owned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast