+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomend a Cartridge

I'm Paul.

Default Recomend a Cartridge

Hi all

I am looking to try a different cartridge on my turntable, not that there is anything wrong with the one I have but have that itch to try something else, so anyone got any recommendations for something that will match the standard tone arm on my Thorens TD-160 Mk1, I currently use a Denon DL-110, I also have a low end AT for playing the wife's old scratched 45's but that's another story.

So anyone got any recommendations, MM or MC

Thanks

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Gary.

Goldring Eroika LX, lovely musical MC.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Robert.

Goldring 1042, seems an excellent cart and a bit of a sleeper bargain from what I've read https://www.google.com/search?q=gold...WS&pie=plaji-i
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Mike.

I've owned a succession of DL110s over the years on various turntables. I think it's cracking value for money, but I also had that upgrade itch to scratch.

I'm back to running my Technics 1210MG5 and in the past few hours I've fitted a brand new Audio Technica AT33-PTG mk II to it to replace the DL110. Straight out of the box I'm very impressed. Very solid and smooth sound. Definitely more sophisticated sound than the Denon, and so it should be at the price!

Not sure how the Audio Technica would work on the Thorens, but I'm sure other peeps here can advise.
    Mike.

I'm Kevan.

Funnily enough I have a Goldring 1042 on my Lenco. I was also considering getting a denon dl110 as a first exploration of moving coil.

The goldring is pretty detailed but does seem to produce a lot of surface noise compared to the Stanton I have in my Thorens.

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on the difference between the denon and the goldring cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caber10

Main System:
    Thorens TD160 Mk11 , SME 3009 Mk 2 improved, Stanton 681EE
    2 X Quad 33/303 recently fully recapped and serviced
    Quad ESL63 with Gradient SW63
    Cyrus CD1
    Beresford Caiman, Gator board and Dorado
    Chromecast Audio

Bedroom:
    Chromecast auido
    Cyrus 2
    Ackroyd Coniston on stands

Kitchen:
    Chromecast audio
    Chinese valve amp kit
    Boliver model 18 stand mount speakers

Gallery
    Dunlop SystemDek 2X
    GramAmp2 phono stage
    Beresford Bushmaster with output mods
    Chromecast Audio
    CELEF PE1 monitors

I'm Andre.

I was gonna recommend this but looks like you cant buy it no more

http://www.pickeringuk.com/XLZ7500.html

http://www.pickeringuk.com/plz.html

I'm Kevin.

What is your budget?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Paul.

Thanks for all the replies

Budget? yes the big question, ok so given that i am satisfied with the DL-110 and that cost about £170 new so wouldn't want to go higher than £300.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Kevin.

For that kind of money, MC options are limited to things like the Denon DL-103 or the AT F7.
    You should be able to get a decent MM though. Something like the 2M Bronze if you want new, or a Shure V15 with Jico SAS stylus if going second hand. Plenty of options out there, but it depends on your personal preference regarding the presentation etc.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Robert.

The Goldring 1042 falls well with you're budget, with plenty left over for tunes. It really is an excellent cart from what I've been hearing.

I'm not surprised as it carries a Fritz Gyger S stylus, one of the most advanced stylus profiles going.

I have it on my re-tipped Ortofon Cadenza Black and it is superb - digs very deep so you get so much recorded music info and detail - just wonderful.

Will need careful set up care though, but once nailed, you'll be rewarded !
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast