+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help setting up a streaming system

I'm Ian.

Default need help setting up a streaming system

I am looking to set up an audio system again as I haven't had a system for a while now. If I have loads of money I would just drive down to my local HiFi shop, tell them my requirements and drive back home with a new system but unfortunately I am on a budget so looking to buy right. I know exactly what amplification and speakers I want but when it comes to the front end I lost to what streaming box to get. my audio files on my server are a mixture of hi res, mostly FLAC WAV and some MP3's, I am not interested in Tidal or Spotify in the future as I have enough of my own music already to listen already. My first product that caught my attention was the Bluesound Node 2, would this be fit for purpose?

I'm Matt.

The node2, or now it’s the node2i is superb for the money. A decent streamer, along with a very respectable DAC & probably one of the best, or the best control app out there. Hard wire it to your router if you can, but if not, as long as your wireless signal strength in the area where you are siting your Hifi, it will be fine.
    There are cheaper methods, there are better solutions at a higher price point. But the Node2i is an excellent choice.

I'm Stanley.

I would second the advice to hardwire to the router. I am using a Moon Mind 2, rather more expensive, it I found a big difference in both reliability and skin with hard wiring.

Regards,

Stanley

I'm Stanley.

Spelling checker! Reliability and SOUND

I'm Mark.

If you want bang for the bucks: buy a raspberry 4, with the 3A raspberry switching power supply.
    Use Volumio or Moode (i personally favour Volumio)
    Feed a Khadas Tone Board over USB and you're done!
    It sounds far better than a Bluesound Node 2.
    For less than $200

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Gate View Post
    I am looking to set up an audio system again as I haven't had a system for a while now. If I have loads of money I would just drive down to my local HiFi shop, tell them my requirements and drive back home with a new system but unfortunately I am on a budget so looking to buy right. I know exactly what amplification and speakers I want but when it comes to the front end I lost to what streaming box to get. my audio files on my server are a mixture of hi res, mostly FLAC WAV and some MP3's, I am not interested in Tidal or Spotify in the future as I have enough of my own music already to listen already. My first product that caught my attention was the Bluesound Node 2, would this be fit for purpose?
    For my money, an RPI option like the PecanPi would be where I spent my money, and did.

The pi and the Pecan will cost about £250-300 and it would outclass the Khadas IMO. Don't get a RPI4, it's pointless in this application. Save a few quid and get a RPI3 Model B+

The Pecan can be controlled by installing Volumio on a micro SD card, inserting into the RPI and then linked to MusicBee software, which is free and bit perfect. Keep the files on an External HDD and play all your music from it. Lovely stuff!

Sound quality is ridiculous and Leo @orchardaudio is top class to deal with.

If you want to see one in action, there are a couple around the country and I have one here.

Full endorsement from me.

I'm Lawrence.

I use a pi in my headphone setup, attach a 2Tb+ hard drive for under £100 as has been mentioned and you can have thousands of albums at the touch of a button. I've found that a good separate USB dac with a 240v power supply works better than dac hats and all in one type systems using SMPS though. They can be had cheaply these days from China or s/h.

Software wise I use Picoreplayer which works nicely with the free Squeezer app on my phone, I don't know the advantages or disadvantages compared to other software like Volumio.

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I use a pi in my headphone setup, attach a 2Tb+ hard drive for under £100 as has been mentioned and you can have thousands of albums at the touch of a button. I've found that a good separate USB dac with a 240v power supply works better than dac hats and all in one type systems using SMPS though. They can be had cheaply these days from China or s/h.

Software wise I use Picoreplayer which works nicely with the free Squeezer app on my phone, I don't know the advantages or disadvantages compared to other software like Volumio.
    Which USB DAC are you using Lawrence?
    It's a route I'm considering and could do with some recommendations.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post

Have you tried a PecanPi Lawrence?

If not, I wouldn't discount DAC Hats, just yet.

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Have you tried a PecanPi Lawrence?

If not, I wouldn't discount DAC Hats, just yet.
    I messaged Leo in response to his offer of a PecanPi trial and intact you have to buy one and you can return if you don't like it.
    Fair enough really, but I like to try before I buy
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast