+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated HQ player computer

I'm Greg.

Default Dedicated HQ player computer

So i was bored , decided to have a go at an audio only PC. Considered the off the shelf options but oh my so expensive
    Primarily a HQ player dedicated to pull off files from my server and then into my office based system

I butchered an old pc which was just sitting there not doing much , the only caveat it was water cooled and ideally i wanted to continue with this approach,
    there lieth the iproblem. Most modern day PC cases which typically house htpc’s tend not to be suited to a watercooled system ,however, I wasn’t phased, well he said !

Definitely my dremmel is being used quite extensively, from an full tower to a HTPC in a Silverstone case with full water-cooling.

My thought process was to use as much of the components from the previous build as possible as i didn’t want this to turn into a bespoke money pit ! famous last words . Thus far, I have reigned in the cost.

The start of the build process , I’ll keep updating for reference .

Best

G

Last edited by Unomelodica; 15-11-2019 at 20:38.

I'm John.

This is a way to replay digital media that has an appeal to me.
    I was looking at the Two Computer set up, this was a advice given on Computer Audiophile that got my interest.

A main day to day computer has all the files stored as a standard practice, this computer will supply a Second Computer a file to replay, the second computer will be used to replay from the RAM into a DAC.
    There are benefits that were discussed with this replay set up that I can't quote at present.
    That is as far as I got with the process, as I ended up going down a slightly different but similar replay route, as I now use a PS Audio CDT Memory Player.
    I look forward to reading up on your progress, as I still intend on using the above method or a evolved one, there is a new Tower Computer sitting idle waiting to put into service.

I'm Greg.

john yes i agree , ill be using using windows server 2016 as the OS should play happy with HqPlayer

The Power supply will be a HDplex 400w dc / powered by an external Linear power supply - Audio out from USB to a Gustard USB decrapifier - then onto a modified LKS 004 DAC - bel canto monos - B&W N802n (although these may change to some dynaudio confidence)

The difference between embedded and Network attached is what i think you are reffering too ie, the 2 computer method - using a control point to run media through something like a RAMDISK setup on a win machine has its advantages but
    again also has its disadvantages

Now back to routing cables !

G

I'm Gary.

Looks very cool.

One thing I’d ask, the Display screen can give off quite bad RFI/EMI?
    I’d make sure you were covered for that.

Windows Server is better than stock windows, but not near a stripped back Linux install imo.
    Also BIOS settings can have a large impact.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

I use a laptop
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Will you be using audiophile water in the cooling system? I hear that Apollinaris provides a sparkling midrange!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Will you be using audiophile water in the cooling system? I hear that Apollinaris provides a sparkling midrange!
    Demineralised is better, takes away the hard sound
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Greg.

yes may try unbuntu havent striked off the list yet or even a ram disk

Thanks for the headsup re interference .

Geoff yes i thought about deinozed gin but couldnt be doing with the effects of slurred vocals !

G

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Unomelodica View Post
    yes may try unbuntu havent striked off the list yet or even a ram disk

Thanks for the headsup re interference .

Geoff yes i thought about deinozed gin but couldnt be doing with the effects of slurred vocals !

G
    Not Ubuntu,
    go more hardcore than that.

Everything matters if your chasing the best build.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Greg.

any suggestions gaz ?

G

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast