+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SS Preamp search

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That one uses an electronic volume control, so avoid.

I'm Chris.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

I think I might chance it on one of the original ones I linked to.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    I've had one of these for a while now - very transparent sound indeed. Only downside is the poorly designed remote where you have to take it apart to change battery.
    Cheers Jules, that's encouraging. I was attracted to this one due to the "better than worst" transformer available and the nice simple display. I like the mini metal remote too.

I have been sifting through hundreds of the ebay/Ali express ones and although admittedly I don't know too much about the parts of them these looked to have the most familiar configurations I've seen in other pre's. The stepped ladder volume relay and neatly laid out boards look simple enough.

Seeing how simple they are does make me want to go the DIY route . . . I'd love to give it a go. Then I add up the price of a semi decent transformer, volume pots and enclosure and it's probably higher than a fully built one and might not be significantly better at the budget end.

Interested to hear further opinions.

Cheers
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Gary.

Hi,

Just pointing out the obvious as I’m sure you know, the above is a passive attenuator.

If you can do without remote don’t forget the Tisbury, it’s available on return within 14 days.

In my system it betters the above by some margin!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

I think I might chance it on one of the original ones I linked to.

Cheers Jules, that's encouraging. I was attracted to this one due to the "better than worst" transformer available and the nice simple display. I like the mini metal remote too.

I have been sifting through hundreds of the ebay/Ali express ones and although admittedly I don't know too much about the parts of them these looked to have the most familiar configurations I've seen in other pre's. The stepped ladder volume relay and neatly laid out boards look simple enough.

Seeing how simple they are does make me want to go the DIY route . . . I'd love to give it a go. Then I add up the price of a semi decent transformer, volume pots and enclosure and it's probably higher than a fully built one and might not be significantly better at the budget end.

Interested to hear further opinions.

Cheers
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post

Seeing how simple they are does make me want to go the DIY route
    Interested to hear further opinions. Cheers
    https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...ttenuator-kit/

Which is also passive. It suits systems where sensitivity of power amp is below 1.5v for full output with resistive loading 20k or more, which is the majority of power amps
    The standard kit is provided with three inputs featuring contact-less switching and has a remote control option.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...ttenuator-kit/

Which is also passive. It suits systems where sensitivity of power amp is below 1.5v for full output with resistive loading 20k or more, which is the majority of power amps
    The standard kit is provided with three inputs featuring contact-less switching and has a remote control option.
    Awesome, thanks Chris. I'm just having a read now. Nice one.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Dennis.

"That one uses an electronic volume control, so avoid.

Is it the general view that electronic volume controls are inferior still?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    "That one uses an electronic volume control, so avoid.

Is it the general view that electronic volume controls are inferior still?
    Unsure of which one you are referring to Dennis? For clarification where audio signals pass through either contacts or electronic volume controls there is typically deterioration of the resulting audio.

LDR's are quite different altogether, being a passive variable resistor, arranged in a L pad, activated by more or less light intensity. There are no contacts as light is a contact less medium.
    The differences of one LDR product to the next are explained here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...r-discoveries/

Bigman80 Guest

Unsure of which one you are referring to Dennis? For clarification where audio signals pass through either contacts or electronic volume controls there is typically deterioration of the resulting audio.

LDR's are quite different altogether, being a passive variable resistor, arranged in a L pad, activated by more or less light intensity. There are no contacts as light is a contact less medium.
    The differences of one LDR product to the next are explained here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...r-discoveries/
    What about relay volume controls?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    What about relay volume controls?
    The problem is relay volume controls, are still involving audio signals passing through contacts, of one metal surface to another.

Bigman80 Guest

The problem is relay volume controls, are still involving audio signals passing through contacts, of one metal surface to another.
    Is you LDR available as a true balanced pre

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast