+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Fremer said :-

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Tannoise are particularly sympathetic to vinyl I find.
    Is that a deliberate miss-spelling - if so why? And don't get Jerry started on Tannoys!

Besides, I've owned umpteen different types of speakers, over the years with my vinyl set-ups, and all have shown, to varying degrees, how good the format is (and also highlighted some of its flaws), including the 66s you raved about at Scalford....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not to mention how they interact with the room, which is also kind of significant...

But yes, you're absolutely right, which is why fretting over 'flaws' upstream, in vinyl or otherwise, which in comparison are minor, is a little 'silly' to say the least!

I'd also argue that if you mainly listen to electronic music, which by its very nature isn't real, and manufactured, then it going to be difficult judging how 'accurate' the sound is that you're listening to, whether or not it's been recorded on a digital or analogue format.

Therefore, I'd contend that the only way to accurately judge the flaws of the vinyl medium is to use sounds that are natural and real [not electronic noises], and which through the years, our ears have become attuned to, and developed an accurate perception of, such as the human voice.

Good acoustic recordings of such have always been the definitive arbiter for realism, when it comes to judging the sound produced by hi-fi systems, or any of their constituent components.

I won't get into the 'source first (or otherwise)' debate, as I have differing views from the majority here, although I'm not a staunch source-first guy, so we'll save that discussion for another day

Marco.
    I would say room interaction has an even bigger effect on the sound from my experience.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Justin.

Is that a deliberate miss-spelling - if so why? And don't get Jerry started on Tannoys!

Besides, I've owned umpteen different types of speakers, over the years with my vinyl set-ups, and all have shown, to varying degrees, how good the format is (and also highlighted some of its flaws), including the 66s you raved about at Scalford....

Marco.
    Mr Sensitive. It's just a bit of fun.

The Celestion system was great. Vinyl can sound brilliant. I haven't said it can't. I have said why I think it can sound as good as it does sometimes. But those virtues are also enemies. Noise injection ain't great between tracks and for classical can be unlistenable I find.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Mr Sensitive. It's just a bit of fun.
    There we go again - you can't help yourself and don't seem to realise when you're being personal or patronising!

I'm not "Mr Sensitive"; I'm simply making comment and defending my opinion, whilst having some fun in the progress, and which you're obviously reading as something else. However, if you keep on being patronising and making personal remarks, then it'll cease being fun.

So, I take it's a no to tackling the post I made about vinyl rips? What about the point I made about electronic music not being real? You seem to only address the points you feel are easy to answer, whilst conveniently ignoring the rest

And let's not forget who opened this can of worms in the first place, and brought up the whole vinyl thing, by making the statement he did earlier

If you want to be provocative, or a wind-up merchant, then be prepared for the consequences

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

im wearing silk today
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Gosh darling, is that in readiness for Christmas?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Just one thing....

We've been here before, and I've demonstrated this to Macca, by ripping a vinyl copy of Nat King Cole's 'Live at the Sands' onto CD (a favourite album of his that he owned beforehand on a commercially produced CD, and knew inside out), which I sent to him to compare with his own CD, and aside from some very low-level surface noice, on certain tracks, which you have to expect with vinyl, he couldn't tell the difference - and neither could I. Both sounded superb, and 'sonically correct'.

This isn't quite correct. It was Frank Sinatra not Nat King Cole. And it does not sound identical to my CD version, although I wouldn't expect it to as your vinyl copy is a completely different mastering.

It does sound perfectly acceptable of course, why wouldn't it?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Gosh darling, is that in readiness for Christmas?

Marco.
    keep my extremities warm old chap
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This isn't quite correct. It was Frank Sinatra not Nat King Cole. And it does not sound identical to my CD version, although I wouldn't expect it to as your vinyl copy is a completely different mastering.

It does sound perfectly acceptable of course, why wouldn't it?
    Sorry, I meant Frank Sinatra (which I was thinking but somehow typed something else), my boob!

Sure, by my point is, you didn't detect any obvious sonic flaws in the vinyl rip, compared with your digitally-only produced CD, which you would've done had Justin's assertions been correct.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

There we go again - you can't help yourself and don't seem to realise when you're being personal or patronising!

I'm not "Mr Sensitive"; I'm simply making comment and defending my opinion, whilst having some fun in the progress, and which you're obviously reading as something else. However, if you keep on being patronising and making personal remarks, then it'll cease being fun.

So, I take it's a no to tackling the post I made about vinyl rips? What about the point I made about electronic music not being real? You seem to only address the points you feel are easy to answer, whilst conveniently ignoring the rest

And let's not forget who opened this can of worms in the first place, and brought up the whole vinyl thing, by making the statement he did earlier

If you want to be provocative, or a wind-up merchant, then be prepared for the consequences

Marco.
    Marco I am at work doing a job. I cannot devote all my time satisfying your desires about what you think you need to know from me.

To be frank I find your constant assertions that I am patronising you to be absurd. And intensely annoying. How many times do I have to tell you I am not doing so???

I am taking a break to let you cool down again. Get a grip, bro.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast