+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 408

Thread: Michael Fremer said :-

  1. #31
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 91,543
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Lol - so apart from that, he's ok?

    That's an old video, which was posted on pfm a while back, and I watched it then. I don't have a problem with the guy at all - he is who he is, and IMO is more 'palatable' than most in his industry. At least he's not boring, as he has a personality [one you either warm to or don't] and also a sense of humour, which many of his fellow reviewers don't.

    Most are rather introverted nerds/geeks and measurement freaks, with zero personality or sense of humour (who bore the SHITE out of me), and that for me is what makes Fremer human. I couldn't care less how wealthy or successful he is, so good luck to him. Would I want his system? No!

    Would I want his record collection (if I had the room) - YES!

    Marco.
    To be scientific is to take into account all of reality, not to be selectively inattentive to the inconvenient -- Pharos 2019.

  2. #32
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,975
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - so apart from that, he's ok?

    That's an old video, which was posted on pfm a while back, and I watched it then. I don't have a problem with the guy at all - he is who he is, and IMO is more 'palatable' than most in his industry. At least he's not boring, as he has a personality [one you either warm to or don't] and also a sense of humour, which many of his fellow reviewers don't.

    Most are rather introverted nerds/geeks and measurement freaks, with zero personality or sense of humour (who bore the SHITE out of me), and that for me is what makes Fremer human. I couldn't care less how wealthy or successful he is, so good luck to him. Would I want his system? No!

    Would I want his record collection (if I had the room) - YES!

    Marco.
    Hear hear
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  3. #33
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: North Down /Northern Ireland/ UK

    Posts: 19,100
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hear hear
    Agreed

    I enjoy his Analogue Planet reviews, YouTube videos and his work on stereophile
    Regards Neil

  4. #34
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 91,543
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    For me, if you're going to present yourself and speak to the public, on any subject, then regardless of being loved or loathed, just don't be BORING...!

    Marco.
    To be scientific is to take into account all of reality, not to be selectively inattentive to the inconvenient -- Pharos 2019.

  5. #35
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,975
    I'm James.

    Default

    Fremer has been the LOUD voice extolling the virtues of vinyl and called out CD/ Digital in its early days when it was crap. He needed to be a big personality to fight the juggernaut of the music industry that pushed CD and digital regardless of the sound quality we had to endure. He was almost a lone voice in the wilderness and never betrayed his principles and I admire him tremendously for that because he has been proven right.

    He is someone who has put his head up above the parapet and been bold enough to stand up for what he believes in. Some of his words and attitude may not have always been liked by everyone but you have to be a big personality to do what he has done.
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  6. #36
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 91,543
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Completely agree with your sentiments, Jim. When you're 'out there', like Fremer is, in his field, and are a big, bold personality, you're bound to have your detractors - and I don't suspect he'll give a damn!

    Marco.
    To be scientific is to take into account all of reality, not to be selectively inattentive to the inconvenient -- Pharos 2019.

  7. #37
    Join Date: Feb 2010

    Location: Berkshire, UK

    Posts: 4,170
    I'm Tom.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Completely agree with your sentiments, Jim. When you're 'out there', like Fremer is, in his field, and are a big, bold personality, you're bound to have your detractors - and I don't suspect he'll give a damn!

    Marco.

    Perhaps the very definition of a plonker is someone who doesn't care whether he comes across as a plonker - but just because he doesn't care doesn't mean he isn't one.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers with Tannoy ST50 supertweeters; Amp - Silvercore 833C monoblocks; preamp TBA watch this space; Vinyl: Schopper'd Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 9 inch and Ikeda IT-407 12 inch tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Takumi, Ikeda 9TT, vintage Ortofon SPU GM and SPU Gold; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Miyajima/Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage Allnic H7000V used with Miyajima ETR-Mono and ETR-Stereo SUTs; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily enhanced AN DAC based on kit but aspiring to DAC5 spec.

    Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Marantz PM-4; Digital: CDP Sony CDP-X3000ES & Arcam rBlink; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT 1503 MkI broadcast arm, Ortofon SPU Classic GM, Ortofon 2-15k SUT and Puresound Tenuto platter mat

  8. #38
    Join Date: Jan 2014

    Location: london se6

    Posts: 825
    I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

    Default

    I watched it a while back and found it quite entertaining, didn't take it too seriously though and I suspect he doesn't either. I did chuckle at his file records by race joke though.
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

  9. #39
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 26,465
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Fremer has been the LOUD voice extolling the virtues of vinyl and called out CD/ Digital in its early days when it was crap. He needed to be a big personality to fight the juggernaut of the music industry that pushed CD and digital regardless of the sound quality we had to endure. He was almost a lone voice in the wilderness and never betrayed his principles and I admire him tremendously for that because he has been proven right.
    .
    As a late adopter of digital (1995) I always wondered how true this was so last year I bought a Marantz player from 1984 just to put the theory to the test. And it sounds fine. Yes, I've got better players, or at least players I prefer, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. No grain, no hash, no harshness, you could listen to it all day. It sounds sweet and clean.

    You've only got to look at the rapid take-up rate of CD from 1985 onwards to see that there was no inherent problem. if it had been as bad as it is now claimed the format would have sunk without trace.

    I think it was an almost uniquely British thing and stemmed from people using uniquely British amplification like Naim and Exposure, and some similar boutique brands with an 'exciting' or 'live' sound balance. Or they had older amplifiers which overloaded with the 2V input from CD.

    I've also bought some original issue CDs from around that time too, just to see if the unlikely theory that the transfers weren't done properly holds any water. In short, no it doesn't.

    So Fremer wasn't right about it, not at all. And he certainly isn't the reason for the vinyl resurgence. I'd say a big part of that is due to streaming. No tactile experience, you see. And if you want the tactile experience you go for it all out - vinyl LP - with the needle and the tonearm and the big cover art - not the halfway-house that is CD.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  10. #40
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 41,843
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    How long before people start telling us how good MP3 really was?
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •