+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Fremer said :-

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Name just one then. This is the same bollocks as the myth that there are people with massively expensive systems but who only own a handful of recordings. They don't exist. The reality is the people with massively expensive systems also have huge collections of vinyl and CD, more than they could ever have the time to listen to.

The reason people still listen to - and bang on about - The Eagles, Steely Dan, Led Zep and so on is because they were brilliant, a cut way above the average. So their music remains popular and timeless. Funnily enough you could say the same about The Beatles, but Beatles fans never get accused of living in the past, or having limited taste or any of that nonsense. There's more content on this site about the Beatles, and the zillion re-issues of the Beatles, than about any other band put together.

Likewise people listening to classical like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart also never get any of this sort of grief, and yet that music has been around for hundreds of years. Talk about living in the past! Once again, the continuing popularity of their compositions is down to their genius. No doubt there were a thousand other composers running around at the same time as they were and who have disappeared into obscurity. The cream always rises to the top and stays there forever. Mediocrity gets forgotten.
    Lol - name just one? You wouldn't know them... Some friends, folks I've met over the years, in various places, but especially at places such as Scalford, where I've demo'd numerous AoS systems, and used to get 'looks' from folk when I veered away from mainstream fayre/golden oldies/audiophile pap, and played anything a bit challenging or 'out there'.

They weren't just SD fans, but fans of other bands of the same ilk, all the stuff you've mentioned, as I talked to them about it, and in general I find that those types of people tend to stick to what they know, music wise, and rarely step out of their comfort zones. You seem to be a bit like that too, no? There's nothing wrong with it, as you like what you like, but I'm fundamentally not wired that way!

Plus, and I can tell you this as fact, based on the years when I worked in hi-fi shops (particularly during my time at Acoustica, in Chester), that there are plenty of folks with hugely expensive hi-fi systems and painfully small music collections - I've MET and KNOWN them, been to their homes and seen it first hand for myself. One guy I knew, used to spend tens of thousands of pounds on equipment, cables all sorts (box-swapping all the time), simply to play his 20 or so Acoustic Alchemy and Antonio Forcione CDs! And no, he wasn't a Steely Dan fan...

You should know me by now - I *always* speak from experience! In any case though, there's no need to take umbrage about what I've said; it's only an opinion, based on what I've observed first-hand over the years, and why when folks go on about the classic old bands, my eyes sometimes glaze over, even though, as I've said, I can fully appreciate why they've been so successful and their music has stood the test of time.

However, that doesn't mean there isn't a shedload of great music out there, and many talented musicians today, if you take the blinkers off and make some effort to find it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Name just one then. This is the same bollocks as the myth that there are people with massively expensive systems but who only own a handful of recordings. They don't exist. The reality is the people with massively expensive systems also have huge collections of vinyl and CD, more than they could ever have the time to listen to.

The reason people still listen to - and bang on about - The Eagles, Steely Dan, Led Zep and so on is because they were brilliant, a cut way above the average. So their music remains popular and timeless. Funnily enough you could say the same about The Beatles, but Beatles fans never get accused of living in the past, or having limited taste or any of that nonsense. There's more content on this site about the Beatles, and the zillion re-issues of the Beatles, than about any other band put together.

Likewise people listening to classical like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart also never get any of this sort of grief, and yet that music has been around for hundreds of years. Talk about living in the past! Once again, the continuing popularity of their compositions is down to their genius. No doubt there were a thousand other composers running around at the same time as they were and who have disappeared into obscurity. The cream always rises to the top and stays there forever. Mediocrity gets forgotten.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm John.

I'm a bit like Marco, where as I get the most pleasure from hearing new sounds from unknown to me artists, they don't need to be young and energetic with careers to build, they just need to present in away, that makes one reach for the volume control, or to latch onto a lyric to search out on the net at a later time.
    Now here's a plug for Cam FM 97.2, run by a Cambridge University, its first strength was it had hardly any DJ interaction, then the appeal of listening to loads of unknown music took hold , then the follow up searchs to discover the artists and introduce my partner to the artists.
    There is also a live show with invited in Artists, that is special.
    I'm even buying a micro recorder to save the replays when I'm driving, to make the later searches easier.
    I've got a ditty written somewhere,I have to find where it is left, I believe it is 'City in Colour'.
    a Acoustic Band.
    If I have called it right or wrong, worth a search to have a listen.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes Anthony, but the point it there's LOADS of great music produced today, some of which I've posted videos of, which is far from being mediocre. You just have to be willing to widen your horizons a bit and not get stuck in a rut.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

However, that doesn't mean there isn't a shedload of great music out there, and many talented musicians today, if you take the blinkers off and make some effort to find it!

Marco.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

I'm joe.

Last night I was mostly listening to William Byrd (1543–1623) and Johann Nepomuk Hummel (1778–1837). On vinyl. There's living in the past for you.

The Allman Brothers.
    Another one of my favorites from the day!
    A...
    Nikola Tesla

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    They weren't just SD fans, but fans of other bands of the same ilk, all the stuff you've mentioned, as I talked to them about it, and in general I find that those types of people tend to stick to what they know and rarely step out of their comfort zones. You seem to be a bit like that too, no?

I do give that impression I suppose but it's mainly to wind people up.

About the only genres I don't listen to are country/western, classical, acoustic folk and World. I've got a fairly extensive collection of rap and hip hop, that seems to be a pretty rare thing - on this site anyway. And it only scratches the surface of what is out there in that genre. Same with jazz. There isn't enough time to listen to all the really good stuff that has already been done, let alone spend it seeking out new bands who are really just re-hashing what has been done before. Sometimes I think people just do that for the sake of it, or so they can say that they do it as some sort of musical taste virtue signalling. Music for me is not a commodity to be consumed, and I don't want to accumulate shelves full of obscure music by obscure artists that I'm never going to play again once the novelty has worn off because, frankly, it wasn't much cop to begin with.

There are bands/artists I really like from years ago and I haven't got anything like all the stuff they ever did yet. Curtis Mayfield for example. I'd rather spend my time exploring what remains to be got at there than chase about looking for something new that might be worth bothering with. The way I see it, if a new band/artist is really good, and genuinely creating new and exciting sounds, I'll hear about them anyway. The cream rises to the top. I won't need to seek them out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tony.

Default Michael Fremer said :-

I tend to switch off whenever anyone starts talking about music they don’t like, to be honest.

It’s such a changeable thing, for me at least. My preferences change with age, with mood, with environment, with weather....whatever!

If you’re going to talk about music, tell me what you like now with passion, not about what you don’t like.

Life’s too short for that shit.

There’s too much good stuff (past, present and future) for any one human to listen to in a single lifetime, so I only want to hear what you think is worth listening to, not reasons why it’s not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - I don't hate SD, or even remotely dislike them.

I fully 'get' why they're hugely popular, and they've rightly earned their reputation as one of the best American rock bands of all time, and I have all of their albums on vinyl, plus some duplicates on CD... *But* whilst I've always liked their music, I've never been a big fan - and that's the difference. I also haven't played any of their stuff for years.

Plus, and don't get me wrong this doesn't apply to every SD fan, as I know there are plenty of exceptions, but in general (based on my experience) they tend to be rather stuck in their ways, and their musical choices 'safe'/samey, not very experimental, and rather boring, so if they're not listening to their Dan albums, it'll be something else of a similar ilk or of the same genre and era.

The other thing that pisses me off is how 'audiophiles' have adopted their music, as in general it's well produced and therefore been played to death at hi-fi shows, or before then during 'tune dems' I've attended back in the day, where the LP12 turntable was demonstrated by Linn representatives, and all of that nerdy sadness for me has eroded much of SD's musical merit.

As you can see from the stuff I've just posted videos of, my musical tastes are VERY wide and varied(!) and therefore not easily pigeonholed into any one category, plus this bit is crucial:

I don't (or very rarely) listen to the same music/play the same albums I grew up with [although I was mostly into pop and electronic music when I was a teenager], which many people around my age tend to do/have those habits, and be rather stuck in their ways.

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt - and moved on! So these days I like finding new stuff and pushing my musical boundaries, and even listening to types of music at one time I'd *never* have entertained in a month of Sundays, such as jazz and classical, and which I now love!

I guess it's part of my experimental nature and desire to be different, and not make the same old predictable choices. I'm exactly the same with food, drink, cars, travel, interior design - you name it! A creature of habit or a 'mainstream monkey' I am not!

Marco.
    Thou art God and perfection itself ....
    OMG don't say that we will never here the end of it, his ego is only just under control as its is
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast