+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Fremer said :-

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I don't do 'yee-hah' country and western, but quite enjoy the likes of Johnny Cash, and wouldn't really rule out anything on the basis that it was classed as 'country'. I certainly listen to 'acoustic folk' and love lots of world music. However your complete ruling out of classical music does surprise me, as aside from anything else, so much other great music and film scores have been inspired by it.

So what's the deal then with you not liking classical - what is it about it that doesn't float your boat?
    No idea and I have tried more than once to get into it but it just doesn't do it for me. We don't get to decide what we like or don't like. Nothing I can do about it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    No need - if it's in your collection, and you like it and play it, then it IS great. Easy to discern which is the shite, it's the stuff you can't be bothered with.
    That would be Wagner's 'Ring' cycle, plus any other opera in my collection. But I wouldn't call it 'shite', just music I don't 'get'.

I'm Grant.

Quite liked the ring when young. Not sure why tho. Prefer Mendelson
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No idea and I have tried more than once to get into it but it just doesn't do it for me. We don't get to decide what we like or don't like. Nothing I can do about it.
    No worries... Just wondered if there was something you didn't like that you could put your finger on. When I didn't like classical music during my teens and twenties, it was because I considered it as boring 'old man's music'. I had a different perspective on that kind of thing back then, and your attitude and tastes change when you get older.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No worries... Just wondered if there was something you didn't like that you could put your finger on. When I didn't like classical music during my teens and twenties, it was because I considered it as boring 'old man's music'. I had a different perspective on that kind of thing back then, and your attitude and tastes change when you get older.

Marco.
    It's not that I dislike it, I don't object to it at all. Except for the modern, discordant stuff. But emotionally there is no connection for me. So I wouldn't ever listen to it out of choice. Films are different. A lot of my favourite films are classically scored. There it works for me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Fair enough

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    That would be Wagner's 'Ring' cycle, plus any other opera in my collection. But I wouldn't call it 'shite', just music I don't 'get'.
    Do you ever go to opera (or to the cinema screenings, which are generally a lot cheaper)? Some really do work for me, but maybe not too many. Tosca and Madam Butterfly are two of my favourites, and the Met Turandot a few weeks back was terrific. Gounod’s Faust was a great surprise, bits blew me away. Trouble is you may have to go to a lot of ones which don’t really work for you in order to get a result. The same is true for lots of things. Oddly Wozzeck which I saw live years ago (discordant nonsense ... from up-thread) was really strange - absolutely horrendous to even try to listen to it on the radio or CD, but live it was just a fantastic experience - hard to explain why. It wasn’t just wondering if the main character was going to drown with his head in a fish tank - spoiler : he didn’t.
    Dave

I'm joe.

No, I'm way too stingy to do that. I've watched some opera on TV, but just got bored.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Our tastes change as we age.

In my teens I was only interested in British pop music - the stuff of the Top 10. Later, I discovered the Blues, Rhythm & Blues, The Kinks, The Who and so-called Progressive Pop. Through a seminal sampler LP called 'The Rock Machine Turns You On', I heard Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and some 'Americana': The Doors; The Byrds; The Great Society etc.

Later at University I became interested in groups who were influenced by the Classical composers: Soft Machine and The Nice, and I started to dabble with Jazz: Charles Mingus; John Handy; John Coltrane, as well as folk music.

Originally I loathed Soul, Motown and much of the Atlantic label, as well as 'Rock Steady'. Then some twenty years ago I had a complete change and now love it all, as well as reggae'.

A love of so-called World music came when I started to travel seriously.

When asked what sort of music I liked I would usually reply "Everything, except Country & Western and Big Band Jazz". Sadly I would have to add Rap, Hip Hop and current R&B to the list.
    Barry

Next time you're in the Brabster I'll play you some Snoop Dogg, daddy-o, and you'll be hooked!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast