+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Fremer said :-

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Perhaps some of these hip hop/R'n'B artists would be more palatable if they moved to a different genre, where their talent could be better appreciated, without all that "Look at me, I've got all this money and all these cars and I'm totally badass" crap.
    It's interesting that Marco enjoys rap music, given how much he dislikes ostentatious displays of/boasting about material possessions, and criminal/anti-social behaviour.

I have exactly two tracks in this genre, both on compilation CDs. One is 'Regulate' by Kenny G, the other is 'What What' by Public Enemy.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Our tastes change as we age.
    Actually, the only music I've grown out of is prog, not that I was ever a huge fan of the genre.

I'm Steve.

BOOYAKASHA!!

I see he's wrapped up warm, like his mum told him to
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It's interesting that Marco enjoys rap music, given how much he dislikes ostentatious displays of/boasting about material possessions, and criminal/anti-social behaviour.
    Lol... It's all about the BASS, bro, da BASS...Bout that bass, no treble...'

Seriously, I couldn't give a fuck about the lyrics, indeed like Rob, find much of them distasteful [especially how they often demean women], *but* some of those tracks have KILLER basslines - and DAT is what turns me on! Therefore, I'm quite selective about what rap/hip-hop I listen to. It MUST deliver the goods, bass-wise.

However, lyrically, I enjoy and relate to some of the political rants rappers make against 'the system', which given my proclivities in that area, you will understand - indeed many of these dudes have their fingers of the pulse, as it were, in terms of that kind of stuff, and aren't blinded by all the bullshit that's going on in today's world, like many 'normal folk'...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

Thumbs up

Sorry, didn’t match my thumbs up to the correct post. Please delete.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I have exactly two tracks in this genre, both on compilation CDs. One is 'Regulate' by Kenny G, the other is 'What What' by Public Enemy.
    Er.... I think you’ll find that’s Warren G, not Kenny G!!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Lol - yes I noticed that, but didn't want to embarrass him

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Sorry, didn’t match my thumbs up to the correct post. Please delete.
    Which post (number) did you intend to 'thumbsup', Clive? I'll sort it for you

Marco.
    Main System

Actually, for more subtle, 'serious' rap, I'm big into Cypress Hill. Their current album, Elephants on Acid' is a masterpiece:

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... It's all about the BASS, bro, da BASS...Bout that bass, no treble...'

Seriously, I couldn't give a fuck about the lyrics, indeed like Rob, find much of them distasteful [especially how they often demean women], *but* some of those tracks have KILLER basslines - and DAT is what turns me on! Therefore, I'm quite selective about what rap/hip-hop I listen to. It MUST deliver the goods, bass-wise.

However, lyrically, I enjoy and relate to some of the political rants rappers make against 'the system', which given my proclivities in that area, you will understand - indeed many of these dudes have their fingers of the pulse, as it were, in terms of that kind of stuff, and aren't blinded by all the bullshit that's going on, like many 'normal folk'...

Marco.
    My not only indifference to most rap, but actual dislike of it raises questions in my mind about my intelligence/ability.

As a moral person, my concerns follow from that, and my stance has always been to identify and empathise with the underdog. The result of this position is that I like blues, country and some soul, much of which states the plaintiff position verbally, and if written well, uses chords and melody congruously and expressively consistent with that.

I cannot think that profoundly loud bass lines are anything other than an aggressive, lowest common denominator, rather like war drums, and although I do not doubt that there are some genuine gripes being angrily talked about, most of the words are unintelligible to me. Subtle it aint.

It is tendentiously partial, and seemingly addresses only the gripes of the individual re his id needs and personal feelings of injustice, and this tends to further perpetrate the polarised preoccupation which our society has with self interest, rather than expressions about injustice which we all may share, empathise with and form a consensus about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast