+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Fremer said :-

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good for you, dude, and knowing you I'd expect nothing less! My comments were aimed at the Dan/Eagles/Mac fans who rarely if ever listen to any new music or go to gigs, and simply wallow in the 'joys' of their [rather limiting] CD or vinyl collection

You often meet them at hi-fi shows, either as demonstrators or punters - in fact music sellers, such as Diverse Vinyl, who sell LPs and CDs at such events, deliberately tailor their stock to satisfy the demands of said, stuck-in-a-rut dinosaurs, and buyers solely of stuff that's well-produced and 'sounds good' - I know because I've spoken to Paul, the owner, and we often have a giggle about it!

Marco.
    He is certainly happy to fleece said buyers as well, but taking the piss of them, well maybe they might do better buying their choice of music elsewhere.
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Ok MR smarty pants try this

Rival Sons - Feral Roots
    Interesting, and more than decent... Ok, try some Gloo:

Play LOUD!!

More info here: http://www.glooband.com/#

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Its not a great thing to be elitist or snobby about peoples music and listening habits or what and how they listen. If they get pleasure from it, thats all that matters.
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    He is certainly happy to fleece said buyers as well, but taking the piss of them, well maybe they might do better buying their choice of music elsewhere.
    Lol - don't know about "fleece"; he's catering for a captive audience at shows, so I guess there's a going rate. Never had a problem getting a reasonable discount though, for bulk purchases!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - don't know about "fleece"; he's catering for a captive audience at shows, so I guess there's a going rate. Never had a problem getting a reasonable discount though, for bulk purchases!

Marco.
    I have seen him say no to all sorts of people, including myself. I would buy elsewhere, and for less money.
    Regards Neil

Its not a great thing to be elitist or snobby about peoples music and listening habits or what and how they listen. If they get pleasure from it, thats all that matters.
    Stop being so serious, Mr Serious!!

Marco.
    Main System

I have seen him say no to all sorts of people, including myself. I would buy elsewhere, and for less money.
    He must just like me then

Marco.
    Main System

Ok, back to new music... If the full-on angsty punk of Gloo was a bit too much for yer delicate lugholes (lol), then chillax to the smooth, mellow electronic vibes of Seb Wildblood:

Moby, eat ya heart out!

Or from his new album Sketches of Transition, the stunningly melodic 'Amelia':

Great one for playing at night in the car, driving fast along, quiet winding country roads...Yeah man, kiss-ass groovy!

Check out the dude performing a live set, he's super talented:

Feck yer Steely Dan

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Reminds me - I was listening to the Eagles the other night (no Lebowski quotes please!) - the album 'One Of These Nights', and although I've owned it for 30 odd years and played it a million times I was struck by just how good it is. Not just the production, but the lyrics, the song structures, and the musicianship. In pretty much every respect it is so much more accomplished than the utter shit that passes for music these days that there really can be no comparison.

So I'll happily stay stuck in the past and just thank god that there was so much music made back then when people actually understood what music is.
    This is something which not only validates much art from a while ago, but deals with what makes really good art - its composition.

A friend ahs just bought me the CD containing Steve Miller's Return to Eden, a brilliant track from '72, and one which is well written, and still valid in every way. (And of course quite subtle).

Not exactly new, but one of my favourite 'out there' ambient bands, Nurse with Wound (a classic album from 1997):

Subtle but sheer genius! One to listen to alone, with the lights out, whilst toking on the finest ganja....

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast