+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Fremer said :-

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    As a late adopter of digital (1995) I always wondered how true this was so last year I bought a Marantz player from 1984 just to put the theory to the test. And it sounds fine. Yes, I've got better players, or at least players I prefer, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. No grain, no hash, no harshness, you could listen to it all day. It sounds sweet and clean.

You've only got to look at the rapid take-up rate of CD from 1985 onwards to see that there was no inherent problem. if it had been as bad as it is now claimed the format would have sunk without trace.

I think it was an almost uniquely British thing and stemmed from people using uniquely British amplification like Naim and Exposure, and some similar boutique brands with an 'exciting' or 'live' sound balance. Or they had older amplifiers which overloaded with the 2V input from CD.

I've also bought some original issue CDs from around that time too, just to see if the unlikely theory that the transfers weren't done properly holds any water. In short, no it doesn't.

So Fremer wasn't right about it, not at all. And he certainly isn't the reason for the vinyl resurgence. I'd say a big part of that is due to streaming. No tactile experience, you see. And if you want the tactile experience you go for it all out - vinyl LP - with the needle and the tonearm and the big cover art - not the halfway-house that is CD.
    My CD experience from that period was like listening to breaking glassssss.....

CD only became as big as it did because the industry wanted to make it happen plus the people who embraced it wanted the convenience, they are probably the same people who stream spotify on phones via earbuds.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

Not saying digital is anywhere as good then as now(mainstream) but top end then was pretty good. Dacs tho have improved, especially in the lower price ranges.
    I had digital in late 80's and it was great in many ways. Especially on cans
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    My CD experience from that period was like listening to breaking glassssss.....

Mine was equally as dismal which is why I didn't bother until 1995 when it got to the point where there was no vinyl option any more.

But the problem some of us (by no means all) experienced then was not due to the players, or the transfer process. Anyone who doesn't believe me is welcome to come and listen to 1984 CDs spinning on the 1984 Marantz CD player and hear for themselves. Through Focal speakers too so there's no quarter given!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

Every time I see the thread title, I want to add ' ... it was reet petite'.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - so apart from that, he's ok?

That's an old video, which was posted on pfm a while back, and I watched it then. I don't have a problem with the guy at all - he is who he is, and IMO is more 'palatable' than most in his industry. At least he's not boring, as he has a personality [one you either warm to or don't] and also a sense of humour, which many of his fellow reviewers don't.

Most are rather introverted nerds/geeks and measurement freaks, with zero personality or sense of humour (who bore the SHITE out of me), and that for me is what makes Fremer human. I couldn't care less how wealthy or successful he is, so good luck to him. Would I want his system? No!

Would I want his record collection (if I had the room) - YES!

Marco.
    +1

I've never met him so who am I to judge. He's probably a very nice chap.

I wouldn't want his system either nor anyone else's for that matter.

I'm very happy with what I've got and I take great pleasure in appreciating it. And I agree that expensive doesn't always mean better.

His collection is vast but like his system it's not to my taste which is obvious. But I've watched some of his videos before regarding reviews of releases and have gleaned a few nuggets on the back of them.

I have to say that what I've heard he's been spot on so far.

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Dennis.

For me, if you're going to present yourself and speak to the public, on any subject, then regardless of being loved or loathed, just don't be BORING...!

Marco.
    Yes, but it is even better if they are not up their own arses, and can communicate in clear and grammatical sentences, and preferably without the usual arm waving.

I'm Dennis.

Agree entirely, and think he epitomises a lucky spoilt brat, who seems not to have to do much to enjoy his celeb status and luxurious Hi-Fi.

I don't think that having all the gear he has is worth paying the price of having to be him.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Perhaps the very definition of a plonker is someone who doesn't care whether he comes across as a plonker - but just because he doesn't care doesn't mean he isn't one.
    Ha - well I've always admired folks who have the balls to say what they think and be themselves, regardless of who might not like it. I'd rather that than bland, gutless, shrinking violets, with about as much personality as an empty cardboard box, boring me to death every time that they open their mouths!

That's not being a plonker: that's having the confidence and self-assuredness to be yourself, and others can simply 'like it or lump it' - an attitude I can relate to myself

Fremer: "I don't do this to make friends". Quite... But if he makes some genuine ones along the way, simply being HIM, then that's all to the good. Exactly my mantra.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

Ha - well I've always admired folks who have the balls to say what they think and be themselves, regardless of who might not like it. I'd rather that than bland, gutless, shrinking violets, with about as much personality as an empty cardboard box, boring me to death every time that they open their mouths!

That's not being a plonker: that's having the confidence and self-assuredness to be yourself, and others can simply 'like it or lump it' - an attitude I can relate to myself

Fremer: "I don't do this to make friends". Quite... But if he makes some genuine ones along the way, simply being HIM, then that's all to the good. Exactly my mantra.
    Didn’t dislike the video - though did it finish early? Maybe the Youtube version is in several parts.

Not consciously aware of Bremer before, and he doesn’t even surface with a simple web search.

The stuff he reviews is seriously expensive though - see https://www.stereophile.com/writer/90

I doubt that any of us here could put together a system with components from his “best” list. The turntable in his list is probably about the same “value” (cost) as our house!
    Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Mine was equally as dismal which is why I didn't bother until 1995 when it got to the point where there was no vinyl option any more.
    Eh? I've owned some form of turntable virtually non-stop since 1982, and it was certainly possible to obtain them in 1995, even if you had to go second hand, including with the vinyl itself. It just wasn't very popular then, but that's quite different from there having been 'no vinyl option'.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast