+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: Michael Fremer said :-

I'm Steve.

I had a friend who loaned me a Krell CDP that he bought after reading Fremers article or video on it. I nearlt broke me back putting it in me rack. I listened to three or four discs on it and lifted my antique Arcam CD23FMJ back in much to my delight. Watched a few of Fremers productions and thought WTF are people hanging off this guys words for?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Steve,

Far be it for me to recommend that anyone should 'hang off of' anyone else's words, but where Fremer's worth listening to, IMO, is when it comes to setting up and optimising the performance of turntables [getting them to 'sing'], which in many ways is somewhat of a black art.

In that area, his views are worth listening to, IMO, and in the book he's written on the subject, I'm therefore confident that most people would pick up some great (often free) tips!

Nothing amazes me more, when I attend shows or bake-offs (such as NEBO and others), or when I visit people's homes, how few folks *genuinely know* how to get the most from their T/T, and with it, their vinyl collection - no matter how long they've been in this game for.

Subsequently, I'm usually always able to make some sort of fairly significant improvement, to the delight of the owner! But I always say to myself 'Why didn't *they* know that?'

And I think it's a bit like that with Fremer. He's got a good ear for that type of thing, and most importantly isn't afraid to follow his gut instincts and fly in the face of so-called 'scientific facts', when it comes to audio, and go with what his EARS tell him, no matter what measurements say - a fundamental error, IMO, with a large percentage of audiophiles, who trust their text books (or test apparatus) more than their ears.

Therefore, despite what I may think of folk in general (and Fremer can be a bit of an arse), I'll always be more predisposed to listening to what someone who's confident in their own judgement and hearing acuity has to say on the subject of audio, and isn't afraid of being controversial. than someone else who shuns the validity of their instincts and senses, and needs guiding rigidly by the contents of text books and measurements - indeed more often than not, IME, the former tend to have the better sounding systems, and so ultimately give advice that is worthwhile listening to!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by loheswaran View Post
    Fremer really is the jeremy clarkson of audio. In his defence I met him in 2006 (I think) at Heathrow. He was very affable and interested in what people had to say to him. He was accompanied with Ken Kessler who was equally enthusiastic and charming. It's easy to be snide and critical, but remember, this is his job - he has created his name and brand and he must live up to it. I said to his face that his review of the Whest phono stage was a nonsense when he did an about turn to re-approve his beloved Manley - he tried to explain himself although it was a tad wittering. My point to you guys is take the man with a pinch/handful of salt - use it as a pointer - learn what's on the market. Not many people really get to listen and test back to back the amount that reviewers do. You are all smart enough to take things with a pinch of salt. Fremer does get an awful lot of stick.
    Good post "loheswaran"; I completely concur

However, what's your real first name? It's mandatory here for all users to put their real first names on their profiles, so please do so at your earliest convenience. Ta!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Watched the video again and he's always good fun and I love his mimicking and sly little jokes.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Shane.

He's a slightly odd cantankerous bugger, that Fremer chap. To a degree I like him.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good post "loheswaran"; I completely concur

However, what's your real first name? It's mandatory here for all users to put their real first names on their profiles, so please do so at your earliest convenience. Ta!

Marco.
    . Maybe that is his first name ? Interesting being called out by teacher every 5 mins in class though lol

Lol - hardly every 5 mins! But rules are rules....

if it is his first name, then it's an usual one, and if so, cool. However, if not, his real one will need to put on his profile. The reason for this is to promote the use of first names when members are communicating with each other, which is much friendlier, and what AoS is all about. We have a community of real people here, not a 'faceless' bulletin board

In that respect would you rather I called you 'tapid', Brian or Daftee?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - hardly every 5 mins! But rules are rules....

if it is his first name, then it's an usual one, and if so, cool. However, if not, his real one will need to put on his profile. The reason for this is to promote the use of first names when members are communicating with each other, which is much friendlier, and what AoS is all about

In that respect would you rather I called you 'tapid', Brian or Daftee?

Marco.
    . Daftee 2 is fine , we all know who Daftee 1 is

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142