+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Silver cables-myth or fact?

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Or it could be the BTE is simply a better preamp. Sometimes more expensive does not = better
    A firm no to that one. There are lots of things the DCB1 does better but its not the point of the discussion.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Mike.

Like Mark, I won't pass any judgement on silver v copper, at least in 1 metre I/Cs. However, f.w.i.w., early last year (or maybe before) I hosted a bake-off with 6 people including me; one of these a local dealer known to this parish. I switched between my Chord Indigos and my then recently acquired Artisan Audio Silver Dream Ultimate; 4 cores into WBT Ag plugs. Kit was 4 box Lector CDP (valved) and E.A.R. 912 pre. (valved)

Half those present voted for the copper, half for the silver. Interestingly, if I recall correctly, 2 of those present were mainly classical aficionados and chose copper. The CD only member chose silver; so did I, despite being a classical lover. There was a distinct difference, but not in frequency terms (although the silvers did seem to stretch the upper frequencies a bit) but in presentation. The silvers were leaner and (maybe because of this) seemed to have more 'clarity', with the copper smoother.

I later used this combo swap between pre. and (509 mono) powers and initially liked the uplift in acuity (seemingly) but reverting to the Chords somehow seemed to be more holistic. Didn't try my T.Q. Black Diamonds against the silvers but my guess is that it'll be somewhere in between.

Just to say I'm glad I bought the Silver Dreams and still use them from pre. to power, where they seem to have a more synergistic effect, but adjudicate between the two? No way; they're just different. However, this was with valved source and amplification (+ big ELS). Maybe a different outcome with various s/s designs.

I'm Michael.

I find older people prefer silver, probably because of their age-related hearing loss , and hifi related hearing loss, they lose the ability to ear the upper frequencies, so silver cables extenuates those. In the below 60 category, silver sounds thin and artificial. Can't beat a good thick copper cable.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Could be.

You can't measure what you hear or how you hear it (yet).
    Or what you think you can hear/want to hear/expect to hear but can't really
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Or what you think you can hear/want to hear/expect to hear but can't really
    A sceptic by any chance?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Could be.

You can't measure what you hear or how you hear it (yet).
    Exactly, as example we can hear tiny inflections in voice where a singer looks down, or across to other musicians, but getting a measuring instrument
    to pick up such nuances is nigh impossible

Some though will try, by aimlessly looking at graphs and oscilloscopes -rather than just appreciating
    and expressing what they are hearing.

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I find older people prefer silver, probably because of their age-related hearing loss , and hifi related hearing loss, they lose the ability to ear the upper frequencies, so silver cables extenuates those. In the below 60 category, silver sounds thin and artificial. Can't beat a good thick copper cable.
    Nothing quite like pigeon holing a demographic is there LOL
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Putting aside the cable debate (not wanted by me) Could the problem be a slight impedance mismatch or me spending a couple of years listening to a sound that exaggerated HF? If its the latter I have to say I enjoyed it!
    Ok here’s my two penny worth thoughts and experience of this stuff over 40 years

Every pure silver cable I’ve tried, I have not kept, I feel it makes it all sound a bit clinical.

The right copper cable with silver coat can offer a good option in the right application, in fact I have a phono cable which is this, and it gives more detail. Having said that I recently changed turntable and the one that came with it that sells for 1/4 the price sounds virtually the same and it’s very subtle difference.

Pure copper can IMO give a warm/dampened presentation. In fact I have a solid core short pure copper interconnect which is great to get rid of top end harshness from a piece of gear.

Recently I discovered Belden cable and use this as interconnect between SUT and phono stage, not an expensive cable, a straight forward microphone cable and what I think is key here is with low impedance. It is the best cable I have found and only cost £50.

So I am of the opinion that pure silver gives some edgy ness/harshness to the sound, why I have no idea just my experience with what I have tried. Good multi strand copper work well, and I have found that silvered copper can lift the presentation in the top-end. based on my relatively recent experience with a Belden cable I think impedance matching the cable to where it is being used is pretty important. After all it seems to be common sense that any resistance to getting the signal form one bit of kit to another is going to impede the end result in some way, this may explain why when we cable swap from one cable product to another the sound can be impacted greatly. I think there is not a single solution but for each system and listener there is a cable combination that works best, perfect for manufacturers and retailers to keep offering the perfect cable.��
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm John.

Having Trialled a variety of RCA Interconnects and Speaker Cables over the years, and more recently RCA Digital Interconnect and DIN Phono Cables in Silver and Copper.
    The Cables range from DIY to Branded - £'s to £££'s.

I am sure there are many parameters that individuals will only consider to make ones evaluation worthy of consideration, so to clarify these are my perceptions of how I felt a particular type of metal in a cable left a impression, and how I felt about the idea of using a type of metal at a particular interface in a System.

My thoughts on most evaluations consistently leans to Copper as the compromise and will usually be my cable of choice to be put to use, or a Cable I will state a overall preference to if being part of a Trial/Bake Off.

As always there are anomalies that will detract from a consistency in a evaluation, and the words 'Compromise' and 'Usually' have a value too be considered.
    I don't know if anybody has a cable of their dreams, but some go through periods where these items lined up to be exchanged in the hope of discovering 'The One'.
    I have shared in this experience and have a impression left relating to the different metals.

I will say to start that the most impressive cables I have very good recollections of and experiences with have had a purchase value of close to £100 +/- 30%.
    This will vary for many, that is my recollection and experience.

I would take what I perceive as the extended top end of a few of the auditioned RCA and DIN Silver Only Cables over the most valued Copper auditioned cables any day.
    As a perception of a Bass Extension and Bass Authority in a RCA and DIN Silver Only Cable,
    I am not convinced I have auditioned one that can offer, as to what I perceive a RCA and DIN Copper Only Cable can.

I have perceived RCA and DIN Copper Only Cables that have a extended top end, that surpasses other RCA and DIN Copper Only Cables, I am not convinced I have auditioned a RCA and DIN Copper Only Cable that gives the perception of extending in the way that a RCA and DIN Silver Only Cable can.

I have auditioned a few RCA and DIN Silver Only Cables that I will refer my perception of the presentation, as 'Shrill'/Colouration and 'Unwanted.
    I have auditioned a few RCA and DIN Copper Only Cables, that have a Muddiness/Colouration
    that is 'Unwanted' and very distracting when perceived.
    I have not perceived a 'Shrill'/Colouration RCA and DIN Copper Only Cable, or perceived a RCA and DIN Silver Only Cable to have a Muddiness/Colouration.

For Speaker Cables the perceptions are very similar, what is most memorable, is how a few Copper Only Speaker Cables had a overwhelming perception of a Muddiness/Colouration.

There are very enjoyable experiences to be had in the choosing of a cable that one perceives as a very tolerable interface in their system.
    I feel the decision comes down to how much 'Colouration' a individual wants to introduce to their system, as we are all individuals, the choices made around this will be very broad and bespoke to the individual.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123