+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FR64s with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze

I'm Alex.

Default FR64s with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze

I’m considering trying one of these highly praised tonearms. Would it be a terrible idea for my cartridge? My thinking is - replace the headshell with a lightweight one, hence reducing the effective mass significantly. Or should I just give it up as a bad idea?

I'm Dave.

Personally, I'd give up the Bronze in favour of the FR-64S, IMO one of the best arms ever made.

I don't think you will have any trouble with the FR-64S combination, just don't use their huge cube headshell.

I'm Hugo.

If you can find a lightweight Fidelity Research RS-121 headshell, these work rather well on the end of my FR-64S with my KontrapunktB and would no doubt be fine with a Cadenza too.

I'm Charlie.

The 64fx is not such high mass so might be a better bet, still has the same high build quality. Even the fx is hardly a light-weight though!
    Mine sounds lovely in combination with a DL103r.

montesquieu Guest

It's surprisingly tolerant of cartridges that are more medium compliance - the Cadenzas are medium-low compliance and as suggested above by Hugo (who has lots of experience in these things), with a lighter headshell you should be fine. Though I suspect just having such a wonderful arm will ultimately tempt you to the dark side of low compliance - SPUs and the like.

Bring it down here if you like, my Ikeda arms are roughly around the same sort of effective mass.

I'm Alex.

Well the guy selling the arm seemed to get annoyed with me doing a bit of research so it’s not an option anymore. I’ve instead ordered one of the Ortofon arms fettled by Alfred Bokrand.

Thanks for the offer Tom, I was actually going to PM you with a couple of questions. I’m no longer near to you though so popping over isn’t as easy! I better update my location....

montesquieu Guest

Possibly for the best the youngest of these arms is 30-odd years old by now, the oldest over 40, and the performance varies hugely. I've heard a couple of really quite dodgy ones. They are insanely hard to service due to the complex/hard to disassemble/reassemble spring loading arrangement that sits directly atop the main bearing and needs to come off before it can be serviced, indeed the only person I know who will take one on is Angus (Phonomac), J7 won't touch them for example.

If you get a good one the performance is very good indeed but it does seem to be a bit of a lottery.

And yes Hull is rather further than Reading (or, indeed, Benson/Wallingford!).

+ Reply to Thread