+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariston RD 50hz pulley dimensions

I'm Matt.

Default Ariston RD 50hz pulley dimensions

Hi everyone, as I mentioned in my intro I have a 60hz RD90 I want to convert to 50hz/100v for use in the Tokyo area, without spending too much. I sold off my old RB250 a while back and will need to get a new arm as well, so something like an Origin Live DC upgrade is beyond my budget.

I haven’t had any luck finding a 50hz Ariston pulley so far and have seen mixed things about a Linn being suitable. Plus Linn pulleys seem to be available only with motor. Regas run a much smaller sub-platter, so I know that’s not an option.

Could anyone with an Ariston RD check the diameter of their 50hz pulley? I believe they all use the same size sub-platter. My calculations predict around 21.6mm for 33rpm, is that correct?

I'm Matt.

Default Sorry, think my notes were wrong, 21.9mm for 33.33?

Sorry, think my notes were wrong, 21.9mm for 33.33 at 50hz/250rpm?

Quote Originally Posted by shonan21 View Post
    Hi everyone, as I mentioned in my intro I have a 60hz RD90 I want to convert to 50hz/100v for use in the Tokyo area, without spending too much. I sold off my old RB250 a while back and will need to get a new arm as well, so something like an Origin Live DC upgrade is beyond my budget.

I haven’t had any luck finding a 50hz Ariston pulley so far and have seen mixed things about a Linn being suitable. Plus Linn pulleys seem to be available only with motor. Regas run a much smaller sub-platter, so I know that’s not an option.

Could anyone with an Ariston RD check the diameter of their 50hz pulley? I believe they all use the same size sub-platter. My calculations predict around 21.6mm for 33rpm, is that correct?

I'm malcolm.

Measured the one from RD80, measured on crown and either side

Crown 29.34 (28.78)
    Crown 21.52 (20.77)
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Matt.

Interesting! Thank you for checking! The RD80 has a flat belt, right?

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by shonan21 View Post
    Interesting! Thank you for checking! The RD80 has a flat belt, right?
    Yes a flat belt, although my RD40 has a square one.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Yes a flat belt, although my RD40 has a square one.
    I see, thanks. My current 60hz RD90 pulley is the square type.

I’m thinking I may need to look into getting a new pulley machined here in Japan, in which case a typical flat pulley design sounds like the way to go.

I'm James.

It's worth experimenting with wrapping your existing pulley with something like Kapton tape. Use a strobe to check the speed and add as many layers as required to slow the platter down by the needed amount. Kapton is a good choice as it will lay even and grip the belt properly, whilst being thin enough to add a precise thickness.
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Matt.

Thanks for the tape recommendation. I thought about trying something like that, but it’s the square belt pulley, which makes it challenging. Might try anyway if I can find some really narrow kapton tape or something similar. But I have a feeling the belt will end up spinning off if it doesn’t have the v-profile pulley. Maybe a flat Ariston belt will work though.

+ Reply to Thread