+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transferring vinyl to digital

I'm Michael.

This is what I use; https://www.cfbsoftware.com/lprecorder/lprecorder.htm very simple to use. You will need their track splitting software, LP Ripper.
    LP Recorder is available as a trial.
    You will need a ADC too.

I'm Al.

I spend a lot of time doing this - for those who are interested, here's my method.

1. Clean disc with record cleaning machine (Loricraft PRC4)
    2. Record disc (Garrard 401>Denon amp>PC) using Audacity
    3. Save each side as a WAV
    4. Clean WAV using ClickRepair
    5. Open WAV in Audacity - if it contains more than one track (one side of an LP/EP, for example), split it into individual tracks
    6. "Top & tail" each track by fading in/out the silences at the beginning and end of the track
    7. Check for any remaining audible scratches etc and repair if possible
    8. Normalise volume
    9. Save edited WAV

I'm Martin.

This reminds me of copying VHS cassettes to a DVD Recorder when I first got one, putting in titles, removing adverts and the like. It got very old very quickly and I applaud anyone with the dedication to put themselves through this :-)

I'm Grant.

I use vinyl studio pro, and enjoy its features and ease of use. never could work audacity well.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Al.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    This reminds me of copying VHS cassettes to a DVD Recorder when I first got one, putting in titles, removing adverts and the like. It got very old very quickly and I applaud anyone with the dedication to put themselves through this :-)
    Ha...yes, I never tackled that. Bought an integrated VHS>DVD recorder but since the tapes were much longer than a DVD, it was a real pain. At some point, I ought to try to hook up the machine to my PC to record directly onto the HD, but honestly, I'd much rather play around with records.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I use vinyl studio pro, and enjoy its features and ease of use. never could work audacity well.
    Never seen that program before - looks interesting. When I switched from CoolEdit Pro to Audacity, it took me a bit of time to get the hang of it but now it's second nature for (mostly) capturing, editing and saving audio. For cleaning up scratched records, ClickRepair is excellent, IMO.

I'm Tony.

I'm using one of These A Behringer UMC202 to rip vinyl to WAV or mp3 with dbPoweramp (the earlier free version with Aux module) and I'm very pleased with it. It also works fine using Audacity free software.

There's a cheaper Behringer model, the UMC22 which I believe uses a lower sampling rate than the 202.

Prior to the Behringer I used a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which cost more and packed up 14 months after purchase, just out of warranty.

I'm Al.

Is there an advantage to using one of those sort of units rather than a regular amp? What's the difference?

I'm Ian.

Ive use a Focusrite Scarlet with Audacity and get very good results. I do take my time ensuring the record is as clean as I can get it.

The Focusrite has issues,.
    Electronic performance is good but it is extremely difficult to get the same stereo channel balance as the original recording.
    The level control knobs are tiny, far too small for the job they are designed to do. I made larger knobs which helped a bit but still nowhere near accurate enough.
    I am currently using the focusrite with the level knobs at max position and a pre attenuator using an ALPS 2 channel potentiometer. I am getting close to an "as recorderd" stereo image.
    I need to get into the focusrite and remove the level pots and replace them with high tolerance fixed resistors to work with my attenuator.

Anyone beeen inside the focusrite or even have some circuit diagrams ??
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12