+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad 63s or 2805s?

I'm Richard.

Default Quad 63s or 2805s?

I have been looking for a pair of 2805s, as my posts in the classifieds will show, and when a pair came up, with the seller claiming they were recently serviced by One Thing Audio, I rang them to check. And yes, it seems they were.

But, OTA aren't thrilled by them, and suggested a pair of 63s, serviced and improved by them, would be better. Electronics on 3 boards, not one, easier and cheaper to service, the same panels and electronics as the 2805s, etc. As I have to let the seller of the 2805s know by Friday whether I am going to buy them next week (I will delivering my Troels to Croydon on Tuesday), I need advice pretty sharpish.

Life is so complicated.

My current power amp is a Parasound Halo A21 (250w+ into 8 ohms) and the room is 5.2m x 4.3m, 2.3m ceiling. I can make almost any type of stand/bracing needed.
    I am asking this question everywhere I can, as time is so short.

I'm Alan.

Third world problems eh?

I would be tempted to go with the more modern 2805, though I haven't heard either sufficiently long to choose.. How old are the 2805's?
    Having a recent service can only be a good thing?

I'm Dave.

Never been a fan of the 63s and would opt for the more exciting and modern sound of the 2805.

montesquieu Guest

For me I'd have the later ones, panels may be the same but the frames will be better and the electronics far newer.

I'm Steve.

Had both , no contest 2805’s.

I'm gordan.

Is it already a time for 2805 service or they were fried?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    Is it already a time for 2805 service or they were fried?
    Don't know, but either way if they have been seen to by OTA, they should be good to go. I think they were made from 2008 to 2012, so a service after 10 years is not unreasonable, no?

I'm Mike.

I'd also be inclined to the 2805s; I have 2905s and my friend has the 2812s, which I thought were amazing. As the 2812s are almost identical, and the 63s were a more modern update on the 57s and now electronically dated, I think this is a no-brainer, except that One Thing's treatment of 57s are not universally liked, but if just a service on the 2805s, then fine.

I'm Richard.

Thanks for the input. I think the 57s were a completely different configuration from the 63s. OTA said the 2805s were an updated 63, and they could bring the 63s up to 2805 performance. But I needed some independent views. So unless anyone can give a detailed comparison of 2805s and OTA 63s, I think I will go for the 2805s.

I'm tony.

I have 57s and 63s both benefit from being raised about 18 inches off the floor.

I found the 63s a bit fragile....dont leave a teenager at home with 300w monoblocks attached and a penchant for radiohead at krackatonian levels!!!!

I would go for the 2805s in a heart beat....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast