+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Quad 63s or 2805s?

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I have had many conversations with OTA about refurbished 57 models.
    If they have carried out works and not supplied the parts only, they can offer valuable info on the works carried out.
    There are many private jobs on the market with OTA parts referring to the items as OTA rebuilds.
    A play of words to 'Caveat Empor'
    The seller advertised them as serviced by OTA. I phoned OTA and they confirmed they had done so, replacing bass panels on both speakers. They were dropped off and picked up (by the seller, I presume).

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    A play of words to 'Caveat Empor'
    Think you missed the 't' out.

Richard, wasn't there any paperwork? I also wonder why the seller chose One Thing rather than Quad. One thing's reputation is from souping up 57s, and even that has been open to controversy on sonic grounds; possibly be purists? I wouldn't consider One Thing for my 2905s; I'd return to the manufacturer, as I would for any of my kit, if feasible.

I'm Lawrence.

And without serial numbers how would they be able to confirm they serviced this pair, by his address? In the hyper data protection world we live in I'd be surprised if they would be willing to confirm such a thing, although maybe they don't have such a concern about this as bigger outfits.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    And without serial numbers how would they be able to confirm they serviced this pair, by his address? In the hyper data protection world we live in I'd be surprised if they would be willing to confirm such a thing, although maybe they don't have such a concern about this as bigger outfits.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I rang them, gave the sellers name, and they confirmed that they had been serviced, plus bass panels replaced, on 6th September.
    I have just messaged the seller again (through ebay) and asked for a copy of the service report, as I forgot at the time, and would need it if I have to deal directly with OTA. Also I would need it if I ever decided to sell them.
    This is what I said.

Hello again *****,
    I have just realised I forgot to ask for a copy of the service report from One Thing Audio. I'm not used to buying such expensive items, so it slipped my mind. Could you send me a copy please? As it looks likely I may have to deal directly with them over the loose dust cover I will need it. Also if I ever decide to sell them there will be a record of the work they have done.
    Regards,
    Richard

I'm Richard.

The seller said there was no paperwork. I have since removed front and back dust covers, and discovered it is the lower bass panel that is buzzing. Shining a torch upwards at that spot shows a wrinkled diaphragm. The seller says he is awaiting a reply from OTA. Tomorrow, if there is no news, I will ring them myself.
    BTW, asking folk on diyAudio has elicited a mine of info. and help. It seems half the world is experienced in repairing and rebuilding these things!

I'm gone.

I'm folowing this tale of woe with sadness and concern.
    It's horrible when things go wrong like this.
    Good luck getting it sorted, Richard.

I'm Richard.

Thanks Jerry. I have just spoken to Steve at One Thing Audio, and their work is under warranty, so I just have to remove the bass panel and send it to them. It will be a priority job, so i would hope to have it back in about a week. Watch this space!
    ABD.

I'm David.

Good luck with that, hope the repair is done quickly

I'm Richard.

Bass panel out, and ready to post. It looks sad with two panels out!

ABD.

I'm gone.

Yes, kind of desolate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast