+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad 63s or 2805s?

I'm Chris.

Just for reassurance
    https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...5-loudspeaker/
    which I'm sure you've already seen.
    You lucky man; i had 57s for a while before i got my Klipschorns, in 1980, and still recall how great they sounded.
    Chris.

I'm Richard.

I've bought the pair on ebay. When he responds, anyway. I'll be picking them up on Tuesday; the packing and strapping in the back of my MPV will be fun!

I'm Richard.

I took my big Troels speakers to the buyer in Croydon, set them up for him, picked up the 2805s and drove back to Plymouth! My son came down from Manchester and helped me, otherwise I would have been stuck.

I'm Grant.

i do like the rich, yea olde colours and style of the room. it reminds me of better times.. must be nice place to sit
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Give them a little more space to breath behind.

I'm Richard.

One of them is faulty. The dustcover membrane on the front of one is torn, and its top mounting strip is loose. I played some music with a double bass and it started farting! Only double bass, not drums, or even some electronic dance music, just double bass. Of course I didn't play any of that when I listened to them at the vendor's house, so it didn't show up. Now there will be the fun of trying to sort it, probably myself, as it is a long way to Quad or OTA.
    I have found out how to remove the covers, at least, but the screws have been butchered, and on the back of one, four out of five are missing, plus there are three types of screw used. The vendor claimed these had recently been serviced by OTA!

I'm Chris.

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to hear about your woes. I have recently had a similar experience with my purchase of some 63's. (Although not the sellers fault at all in my case I suspect). Listened to them at the sellers house and they were fine. He was a lovely guy who could not have been more courteous and even if the problem was already with the speakers he did not know about it. Got them home, farting from a bass panel on low bass notes.

As mentioned, my situation differs from yours in that it sounds like yours had issues before you bought them judging from the missing screws etc (I don't think OTA would leave them like that).

Is it the actual panel that is torn or just the dust cover/membrane working loose? I believe it is the latter in mine and is apparently not the most difficult fix in the world. (This info from my seller who has actually very kindly offered to help me sort them when we have the time). It basically involves removing the socks and gently heating the dust cover until it re-seats itself (or something similar to that explanation).

The diagnosis of it being the dust membrane rather than the panel/diaphragm is only from what I've read, it sounds like an audible buzz/fart from a specific area near where the bass meets the treble panel.

Even though I've owned quite a few I've never actually been inside a pair of Quads, I might be biting the bullet soon though.

As I've mentioned before though, unfortunately this is one major caveat of ownership as they are delicate. However when properly setup, working and looked after they can run problem free for years even decades.

They are worth getting right.

Of course there is always OTA and Quad repair route to go but as I know for-well this is galling having just spent money for what you assumed were a fully working serviced pair.

Best of luck.

Chris
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Martin.

I thought you said OTA had confirmed they had serviced the 2805s?

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    One of them is faulty. The dustcover membrane on the front of one is torn, ...
    The dust cover membrane can be repaired with tape. Magic tape is best as it doesn't harden or yellow with age.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The dust cover membrane can be repaired with tape. Magic tape is best as it doesn't harden or yellow with age.
    Can you come and do mine Alan?? . . . .
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast