+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flooding woes and the P.O

Hibster_2000 Guest

It is not ecologically friendly to dredge rivers, apparently.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If the rivers were routinely dredged and cleaned, as they once were, a lot of the flooding wouldn't happen.

Not much chance of flooding round here because there are no rivers but roads are now regularly flooded because the farmers no longer clear the ditches.
    A certain weed species called Salix Fragelis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salix_fragilis is a major contributor to ongoing flooding, as is clearing of natural waterways
    by those inexperienced ,or with other motivation, inconsiderate or knowing of the wider implications.

Most cities will have a stormwater management plan, and it contains many well researched methods to maintain effective balance between commercial, residential
    recreational, natural and habitat use of waterways .

A key component of these plans exampled here https://epa.tas.gov.au/Documents/Sta...ember_2010.pdf
    is weighing progressively what becomes political interests against the environmental needs at any given time. The date of the document above some 9 years ago gives good
    indication that all is not well in this particular town. Further evidence, is this town now, being as well, choked by cars, and erosion of public places.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-...worse/11115722

But back to Salix Fragelis , its habit is to be regularly breaking limbs causing choking of waterways and creating a distinctive red coloured mat in the river bed, that just
    raises the propensity for flooding. This UK government group exemplifies the wider political problem, https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/re...er-protection/
    whilst on one hand suggesting they use a lot of water, but on the other, NOT then classifying them as a weed, and advocating their substitution by natural species.
    Also links to critical documents on this site are no longer available. We can assume government bodies are not good at all, at understanding riparian zones and generally cannot be trusted.

However all is not lost as joining a community riparian group, you get to know very quickly as to what is a weed and what is not, With Salix Fragelis it requires cutting and poisoning
    - but not removal as removal straight away without a similar way of holding the river bank together, also risks adding to flooding.

Rather what is then done is monitoring to ensure regrowth does not occur often by unpaid volunteers, and longer term a better choice of plant is introduced by riparian groups such as native species
    for channel stability. I hope this has been of interest.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

So since the floods around where we live we still have no post. The post office has posted a very vague message on their website with no expected date for post.

If you have seen the footage on the news, the yard of post office vans is our main post office and not being from around here, others who have been here all their lives have never seen it flood like this.

Flood waters have receded but there are still roads which are closed.

My heart goes out to everyone who has been flooded out.... lets face it, the government couldn't give a crap.

I'm angry, very disappointed in the response from the government.

Has anyone else been affected?

Thanks
    Jo
    We have spent a good deal of glorious leisure time around Derbyshire over the last few years, mainly walking the dales in the area between Tideswell and Ilam, so viewing the drone footage of the devastation in the Derwent valley and around Matlock was both shocking and heart-wrenching. Particularly as a year or two back we were looking at houses in Darley Dale with a view to relocating....

Our local river (the Witham in Lincolnshire) surged from practically nothing to well above flood level in the course of a few hours and was more than slightly alarming. A week on and it's still very high so who knows how tomorrow's heavy rain will work out

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    What never ceases to amaze me are the people you see on the news who appear to have made no effort whatsoever to move any belongings upstairs. Dvd players, TVs, vacuum cleaners, dining chairs etc.

Obviously there are circumstances where people are flooded without warning but when you can see it rising over a period of hours surely you'd try to save what you could?

If I was an insurance assessor they wouldn't get paid out on the basis they'd made no effort to minimise the loss
    You are seriously joking !!

In a flood insurance claim that sort of stuff is absolute peanuts ... drying out costs ... complete kitchen refurb ... new flooring (carpets and sometimes boards) ... replastering of ground floor ... hotel costs ... and much, much more.

I'm Grant.

Yup, the drying out of building and making good is a lot of time and money.
    Forunately flooding is unlikely where I am. Must be horrible tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    You are seriously joking !!

In a flood insurance claim that sort of stuff is absolute peanuts ... drying out costs ... complete kitchen refurb ... new flooring (carpets and sometimes boards) ... replastering of ground floor ... hotel costs ... and much, much more.
    +1

The shock of it happening where it's never happened before or within living memory would be very frightening. First thing to do is to get upstairs and keep safe and inform the authorities and organise help.

Went through the town center yesterday. Seeing peoples sodden furniture and appliances outside each house and seeing people brushing mud out of their homes is a very upsetting sight.

Right now the rain is coming down hard again... hopefully it won't stick around for long.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

I used to say never live near water or on low land (well I still do), but our place in Kent is 600 feet from the sea. Fortunately, it's 80 feet above sea level and there's no coastal erosion. So hopefully, is OK for the foreseeable future.

Folk clamour for sandbags when there's a flooding threat, but I think there's a misunderstanding there. Sandbags a pretty useless at stopping rising water, a couple across a front door will achieve little. They are best employed for diverting the flow of moving water. And yes, I've been involved in dealing with flooding whilst working for local authorities.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yup, the drying out of building and making good is a lot of time and money.
    Forunately flooding is unlikely where I am. Must be horrible tho
    +1. We've mostly always lived at the top of a hill, including now, but my heart goes out to anyone who's been a victim of severe flooding, and worse, if they've lost their homes because of it, which is just unthinkable. Rain water damage is a horrible thing, as once it gets in, it just wrecks everything, and the place is never the same.

The closest we've experienced to that, but which really isn't the same, were burst pipes up in Scotland during one of the coldest winters ever of 1995-6, where the temperature dropped to -20C. We were actually down in Wrexham visiting Del's mum at the time, and our neighbour, who was looking after our house, called us and said you'd better get back home quick!

The damage was horrendous, with ceilings caved in (as the boiler had burst), and everything was soaked, but at least it was clean, not rain water... Still we were out of our house for months, and put up in a hotel, with all meals paid, etc, while the house was fixed inside and dried out. The insurance company were very good about it though, and that's probably the last time we've made a major claim on our house insurance.

I've always said though, that if we were ever properly flooded out, such as you see now with these poor people on TV, it would happen ONCE, and be fixed, after which we'll sell up and move (even if we had to take a huge loss on the sale of the property), as I'd never want to go through the experience again, and dread every weather forecast for heavy rain, and just be almost completely helpless!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Josie.

Just got this on an email from our library.

Talk about an insult.

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

It says "could be eligible". They'll probably make it difficult to get even that measly amount.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast