+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap second system for background music

I'm Gary.

Default Cheap second system for background music

I'm almost finished refitting my kitchen/diner and pondering how to get the best sound for the least money in there.

I have an spare Chromecast Audio and two redundant pairs of speakers (Quadral Phonologues and Kef Cresta 10s) and have two ideas as follows.

Buy a cheap integrated amp, plug the Chromecast and one of the pairs of speakers in, job done.

Buy a pair of active speakers, plug the Chromecast in, job done.

This system is just for background music and although I want it to sound as good as possible the speakers will probably be stuck on top of a wall unit and the amp hidden away somewhere.

I'm only planning on spending £100 max so my thoughts are the amp is a better bet, or am I wrong?
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Geoff.

Buy one of these from China. There's a bunch of us on AOS who've been using them lately. They sound great!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-HI...IAAOSwjDJZ4EKJ

I bought mine for a second system, but it's been driving my big Tannoys with no bother and sounding ridiculously good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Excellent suggestion thanks , I was thinking in terms of a full sized amp and wondering where to hide it to keep Mrs Gaz happy. This could be the ideal solution
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Buy one of these from China. There's a bunch of us on AOS who've been using them lately. They sound great!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-HI...IAAOSwjDJZ4EKJ

I bought mine for a second system, but it's been driving my big Tannoys with no bother and sounding ridiculously good.
    +1

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Excellent suggestion thanks , I was thinking in terms of a full sized amp and wondering where to hide it to keep Mrs Gaz happy. This could be the ideal solution
    If you decide to go for one, you'll need a power supply. I use one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laptop-Un...kAAOSwiR5dLZX~

I use mine set to 12 volts, but you can use more. The blue adapter plug fits the amp.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tony.

+2
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Gary.

Amp and transformer ordered

Thanks guys
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Alex.

I use an amp with the same chip, TPA3116, this one is home assembled and is used with my Rogers LS3/6 / Export Monitors, runs 24 hours a day, has been doing this for some years. Very nearly as good as my best amps, including Radford STA25 III.

TPA3116 by A60man, on Flickr

For best results with the above speakers, something greater than 12V supply in needed in my case, I generally use 19 Volts from a Toshiba laptop power supply.

I also have the supply that Geoff links to. This is an OK supply, but has a lower efficiency than the Toshiba, therefore the Toshiba is used.
    Spendorman

Bigman80 Guest

Can't argue with the SPPPV of this little bit of ChiFi.

I am using one as a stopgap between amps and I have had 3-4 hour listening sessions without fatigue.

I use a 19v laptop SMPS and it's doing sterling work.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Amp and transformer ordered

Thanks guys
    How about a mini review when you get it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast