+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMF speakers

I'm Nigel.

Default IMF speakers

Could I have comments please on IMF speakers particularly TLS 80's and similar.
    From your own experience would be good.
    Thanks in advance.

I'm Dennis.

A retired BBC cameraman friend has a pair, a bit dated now with what I thought was overblown bass, but I bet a re-vamping would be possible.

I'm Grant.

The transmission line speakers are good. maybe a bit slow but certainly go deep. Big buggers too at about 3'6" when mounted. Macca had a set of the 40's I think and liked them.
    They cost a fair bit new too; circa late 70's
    I had a smaller set of imf's and they were decent speakers but needed a fairly powerful amp
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I have the 50s, they are for sale if anyone is interested.

Like most speakers really, some strengths, some weaknesses. Have bass like you would not believe.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

With your new amplifier in mind Nigel, I'd be very focused on getting some speakers that will allow you to hear the quality of that amplification.

I'm not sure these old skool monsters will provide what need or necessarily what you're looking for but, I haven't heard a pair personally.

I'm Lawrence.

What's the new amp? I had a pair, loved them, not fast bass but with watts and current it's not particularly slow either, quite tight really depending on room, system etc as usual

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    What's the new amp? I had a pair, loved them, not fast bass but with watts and current it's not particularly slow either, quite tight really depending on room, system etc as usual

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    That's up to Nigel to reveal, if he wishes.

Not saying they are bad by any means, just think a slimmer speaker will provide better imaging, as I've recently discovered.

I'm Nigel.

I liked them when a friend had a pair of TLS 80's way back. Can't remember what amp he drove them with.
    No secret about the new amp. Trying a Neurochrome after hearing Oliver's but the 286 model.

I'm James.

Nice amps, I like Tom's stuff: quality
    TLS80 used to be a destination speaker for me as a teenager, then I heard a pair of 'new out of the Mayfair factory' Gale GS401A and was swayed into a long lasting black and chrome fantasy. But that was all it ever was... Still hanker after both but condition is imperative in such mature offerings.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Richard.

If you like the idea of tranmission lines can I suggest that you have a look at IPL speakers? I will readily admit that I am biased because I make them as a hobby but if you do a little research you will find plenty of positive comments. (Quite a lot on this forum!) If you are willing to make the 3 hour trip to Cardiff I would be very happy to let you listen to my S2 tm's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast