+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruby cantilever or Sapphire Cantilever?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have a Geiger tip on my Goldring Eroica LX.

(actually, I must dig it out and give it another go)
    I have this version of the Eroica sounds really good and another with a Van den Hul tip, very close in SQ.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Angus.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Actually it does Grant
    There are currently two tip profiles available from Fritz Gyger - the FGII which is very similar to the Ortofon FG80, and the FGS, equivalent to the Ortofon Replicant 100

I'm Deleted.

True; I would have to check but I think mine is the FGS.

Ok, I’ve checked and it looks like an FGS.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 11-11-2019 at 22:05.
    Account Deleted

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I'm eyeing up a new JICO stylus for my Shure V15 mk3 and have the option of ruby or Sapphire. Any ideas which is best?
    I think the sapphire cantilever is straight and the ruby cantilever is tapered reducing the moving mass. I‘ve read somewhere ruby and sapphire are the same except for the color.

I'm Deleted.

It’s true that ruby and sapphire are basically the same thing with the exception of a few trace elements imparting the colour. In my experience, stylus profile makes a huge (relatively) difference. Also, diamond quality makes a big difference to stylus life (and this is not mentioned in any cartridge specs). For example, I’ve had two Paratrace stylus’ and neither lasted very long and both seemed to play a lot of surface noise. The Gyger tip I use now (under magnification it looks a bit like a chisel tip) has already proved to be longer lasting and much more forgiving of surface noise - truly excellent in every way!

Edit: Oh, all the aftermarket gemstone cantilevers I gave encountered have been solid round shafts. The only exception being Dynavector who use facet cut cantilevers - stunning bits of manufacture. However, whilst I actually own a Dynavector Ruby, which is a truly stunning bit of cartridge manufacture, I much prefer the sound of my rebuilt Troika.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123