+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on tube amps

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far, will look into them, would prefer something more powerful than the Leak 20.
    Then the Croft 7 power is all you need to think about with that Croft pre of yours - powerful, valves (with mosfet), unbeatable value. Have a word with Adrian from audioflair.co.uk

I'm James.

Then maybe the Croft 7 would be a good choice. I have used one for the last 5 years and I have been very happy with it. Transparent and will drive the AN speakers with ease. Interestingly I used to use the Croft 25 with a Quad 606 not unlike the 909 but much preferred the Series 7 power amp as the Quad stuff sounded slow and heavy by comparison.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

montesquieu Guest

duplicate post
    Last edited by montesquieu; 10-11-2019 at 21:33.

montesquieu Guest

Funnily enought the best thing I ever heard a pair of AN-Es running with was a home-made 40-watt Gainclone with an insanely OTT double mono power supply - same would apply to Ks I suspect.

If it were me I'd be looking in that sort of area, alternately one of the Pass / First Watt amplifiers. Or with valves I'd be tempted by to try something single ended like an AN Oto SE or some sort of single ended power amp, perhaps 300b or even 2A3-based.

I'm Justin.

The worst I have ever heard a pair of An/Es sound is with a Gainclone copy.

Really. It was not good.

Must have been a crap copy. Who knows.

Not having a dig Tom it is just the truth as far as I heard it. Long time ago but the memory is clear.

I'd try the Leak on the budget.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The worst I have ever heard a pair of An/Es sound is with a Gainclone copy.

Really. It was not good.

Must have been a crap copy. Who knows.

Not having a dig Tom it is just the truth as far as I heard it. Long time ago but the memory is clear.

I'd try the Leak on the budget.
    This was a long way from a $10 board off eBay and the guy who built it also built the rather excellent Phasure DAC that was the only source on this system, so he knew what he was doing.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Stereo 20 is a good amp, even by today's standard!
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Stereo 20 is a good amp, even by today's standard!
    A...
    I wish i had not sold mine as it had a lovely sound and worked well with efficient speakers.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Lawrence.

There are some good cheap Chinese valve amps out there amongst the not so good. Yarland, Mistral, and most Yaqin to name a few.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    There are some good cheap Chinese valve amps out there amongst the not so good. Yarland, Mistral, and most Yaqin to name a few.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Yeh I was thinking that, will look into it. Just had a look on Ebay, can't believe how cheap they are, loads of Yaqin ones, but like £500 for a huge tube amp, are these really any good?
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 12-11-2019 at 11:25.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast