+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on tube amps

I'm Mike.

Default Advice on tube amps

I have just acquired AN K loudspeakers and after giving them a rigorous sunday morning work out, they are really starting to charm me, a clear yet warm and open sound with jazz, very enjoyable. Now folks tell me I simply must use them with tubes, well I kind of do a little bit already, my pre amp is a Croft micro 25, power is Quad 909. So I need either a tube power to match the Croft or a tube integrated (my preferred choice). I have been told a type which takes EL34 valves is the most preferable. Please throw out a few suitable model names for me to go a searching......Budget - not much at the moment! Anything around £500 or less would be good, a bit more may'be…….So obviously used at that price!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm julian.

Valvekraft - if you can find one. British built El34 based 25 watt integrated. Very good, I happily lived with one for a few years until the lure of 211/845 beckoned
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm Ian.

Can't help thinking this is a bit of a bargain, above budget of course !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PrimaLuna...UAAOSwN2VZR-Sq

I'm Steve.

Icon Audio do decent integrateds and you may pick up one used.

A shame you're not minted as the Icon Stereo 30 single ended would work a treat.

Also look out for World Audio Design or World Designs. They are very good DIY jobs and great value.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm James.

I think Firebottle is selling a Leak stereo 20 which would be perfect with the Croft and AN K speakers. I used this combo years ago and it is a great match.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think Firebottle is selling a Leak stereo 20 which would be perfect with the Croft and AN K speakers. I used this combo years ago and it is a great match.
    Solid advice Jim.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I have just acquired AN K loudspeakers and after giving them a rigorous sunday morning work out, they are really starting to charm me, a clear yet warm and open sound with jazz, very enjoyable. Now folks tell me I simply must use them with tubes, well I kind of do a little bit already, my pre amp is a Croft micro 25, power is Quad 909. So I need either a tube power to match the Croft or a tube integrated (my preferred choice). I have been told a type which takes EL34 valves is the most preferable. Please throw out a few suitable model names for me to go a searching......Budget - not much at the moment! Anything around £500 or less would be good, a bit more may'be…….So obviously used at that price!
    If you can find one at your price a Audio Innovations Series 500, I used to have one with Snell Types K's (virtually same as AN K's) and it sounded superb. You might struggle price wise but it would be worth it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Ian.

Contrary to the spirit of your post but I'll say it anyway - wait for a used Croft 7 to appear. Sonic bliss with your pre.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    This. For the money you are unikely to better this.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Mike.

Thanks for the replies so far, will look into them, would prefer something more powerful than the Leak 20.
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 10-11-2019 at 20:24.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast