+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Big TT Reveal

I'm Adrian.

Default The Great Big TT Reveal

So as some regulars on ApS know I have lucky enough due to an unexpected but pleasant windfall been able to purchase a new turntable. After considering several different makes including VPI, Nottingham Analogue, Clearaudio, and Origin Live to name a few I found what I thought would work for me and as it was within budget.

It arrived on Friday delivered by the dealer who spent 2 hours setting it up showing me at the same time and chatting. My initial thoughts on listening was oh this rather good, more depth and detail, but time had disappeared and Sue was home so it was time stop listening after only 5 tracks.

One thing I felt we had not quite got right was the VTA and subsequent checking in the morning revealed the arm was slightly down at the rear, which is quite critical on an LP-S. So I carefully took the. TT off its shelf with some trepidation and started to investigate. An hour or so later having changed the head shell and completely reset up the arm, I wanted to be certain it was spot on back it went to its pride of place.

On went a random track to check how it sounded and there was that lovely moment of euphoria when everything just sounds right. Lots of darkness in quiet passages, great detailed bass, and wonderful mid and top end and superb timing, and the music sounded alive. I had not chosen the best track, in fact it was a spare copy of Wishbone Ash live dates track one, I use this for arm cartridge set up and an initial listen.

So feeling very happy I and my friend Dave went off to Clock Tower Records in Bridport for the first time to see what it was like and satisfy our vinyl lust. I have to say this is a great vinyl shop, on arrival wet from a downpour we were warmly welcome and offered a code or tea, Roy the owner explained the set up and made us welcome saying if we had any stock issues just ask. He pointed me to a reasonable blues and jazz section and said I have a new lot out back I am just about to put out let me know when you are ready look at them. So after. About 2 hours I had a pile of about 20 records ranging from £2 to £15 each of various genres. Too much for my pocket o carefully chose the must haves and ended up with 12 for £60, a good buy I thought.

So we got back home early afternoon and selected records that looked clean an popped them on the new TT, generally listening to one side of each album and moving on. What quickly became apparent to us both as we listened and talked about what we heard was this was a rather special TT. It just sounded right, dynamic and lively but not OTT, notes just hung in the air, particularly evident on one Procal Harum track with guitar solo with a hanging note no wavering or wow/flutter here, just wonderful. My friend commented on how natural and tonally right it all sounded and completely unfatiging. Later in the evening I put on an old favourite and I just knew this was the best I had heard it on my system.

I think that I have been quite lucky in that the new Turntable was a bit of a leap of faith in some respects, although I had read about it and been told it was good, I could not confirm this before buying, anyway its here and I am pleased.

I will post some pics later, in between listening. Cheers Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

Here is the box it came in, and it was heavy. The top box if the PSU.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Grant.

when we get to see it?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

This is click bait.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

A TT that comes in a coffin! Well cool

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm Adrian.

Default TT Reveal -

Here we are The more I listen to it the bigger the grin factor. My friend suggested we listened to Bach's Toccata and Fugue, just stunning superb ambience of the church and the organ sounded stupendous with deep darkness in quite parts. Then we listened to R. Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra, the opening 2 minutes blew use away with the detail of the orchestra and the light and shade, lots of depth, and the organ note at the end of "Sehr Breit—Von Den Hinterweltlern" was something else. This TT is certainly worth its price and more IMO.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Here we are The more I listen to it the bigger the grin factor. My friend suggested we listened to Bach's Toccata and Fugue, just stunning superb ambience of the church and the organ sounded stupendous with deep darkness in quite parts. Then we listened to R. Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra, the opening 2 minutes blew use away with the detail of the orchestra and the light and shade, lots of depth, and the organ note at the end of "Sehr Breit—Von Den Hinterweltlern" was something else. This TT is certainly worth its price and more IMO.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    WTF is it!?

Or did I miss that bit

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    WTF is it!?

Or did I miss that bit
    Oh sorry I thought identifying it was part of the reveal fun, or would you prefer 20 questions?

I'm jamie.

whatever it is it looks bloody lovely
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

You are placing a lot of confidence in those support cables!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast