+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Builders Question Advise

I'm Robert.

Default Builders Question Advise

My daughter is in the upstairs back room (small room) which has the outside wall.

She says that the wall is very very cold of a night lately and one of the pillows she had down the side of the bed against the wall was actually wet with water moisture.

I said to the wife I'd ask what it means / what to be done.

In my limited knowledge I said I think the wall needs re-pointing.

It is a 1930's house, so single brick wall I'm sure.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Martin.

I'm guessing if it's brick there will be a cavity. Sounds on the face of it to be condensation. Ventilation and heat are your friends here, maybe even a dehumidifier before doing anything too drastic.

I'm Grant.

Get a builders report on state of wall. And roof and guttering above. If gutters are blocked or have holes in water can rundown wall and get under the rough cast etc. Sometimes fixing the gutters etc and drying it room can cure it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I was, of course, making a basic assumption there were no obvious gutter/roof leaks etc. How much ventilation does the room get ordinarily?

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    I'm guessing if it's brick there will be a cavity. Sounds on the face of it to be condensation. Ventilation and heat are your friends here, maybe even a dehumidifier before doing anything too drastic.
    I was surprised to see the 30s house we bought a few years ago was single wall, I thought they were double walled since Victorian times.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    I was, of course, making a basic assumption there were no obvious gutter/roof leaks etc. How much ventilation does the room get ordinarily?
    Yup could be condensation too. Single brick walls without cavity are inclined to go this way.
    celotex made external boarding to fix these issues. Not cheap but should dolce it if that's the problem
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

We had this problem in a 1930s house which had solid walls. One wall was always cold and wet. After trying all sorts to cure it we ended up fitting a device in the loft which blew air from the loft down into the house. This worked so well that there was no condensation on any window in the house. We have since moved so I can't check what it's called but it was fitted by a company called Peter Fox

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Internal insulating wall lining easiest to fit quick and not expensive. You can then investigate other options if needed.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Rob.

When I converted half of my double garage (single skin) into my "cave" I coated all the internal walls with Synthaprufe before adding all the insulation. Have had no damp or condensation at all. In fact the other half of the garage which was alway wet inside in winter is now bone dry....not sure how that works, but heyho. It could be all the fibreglass insulation over the ceiling of the cave which is at rafter height. Coating was a filthy and arduous job, but worth it.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckletheuncivil View Post
    We had this problem in a 1930s house which had solid walls. One wall was always cold and wet. After trying all sorts to cure it we ended up fitting a device in the loft which blew air from the loft down into the house. This worked so well that there was no condensation on any window in the house. We have since moved so I can't check what it's called but it was fitted by a company called Peter Fox

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Was that a positive input ventilation unit ?
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast