+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Brabster

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe Sticks View Post
    Any reason why?
    Shame you're not closer to me as i'd take you out in a C63S, E63S or when we get one in, a GT R.
    But, i will say that the build quality was a country mile better on the old Mercs than it is now.
    Getting into bed with Renault was never going to work well.
    Funnily enough i've never heard one of our sales people mentioning that a lot of the range have French engines and share rather a lot of other parts.
    There's your answer

And also because they look too 'aggressive', in the wrong way, in terms of exterior styling, and way too blingy on the inside! For me, since Mercedes tried to design cars to appeal to 'youngsters' [compete with BMW in that respect], and got it badly wrong, they've never really hit the spot. They should've stuck to what they were good at instead.

Don't get me wrong, I still rate C63AMGs, but more from the era of my Brabster, than the current ones, as I much prefer the older shape.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I dislike the way the Mercedes 'trefoil' motif dominates the radiator grille design. A minor quibble, but I agree about modern cars looking agressive in their styling, or just plain ugly (especially the 'city' cars).
    Barry

Yup - I *MUCH* preferred the old [and iconic] metal badge, sat atop the bonnet! Just as RR used to do with their 'Spirit of Ecstasy'. But that's cost-cutting for you....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - shows you how different we are... Those are quality cars, no doubt, and super-reliable, but also BORING as hell!

The only Japanese cars I'd own is a Honda Civic Type R, or a Nissan GT-R. The rest are for pee-soaked pensioners Although I'd concede that Grant's jalopy is quite cool...

Give me a nice BMW M3/M4, or preferably an Audi RS [whatever - they're all superb] any day!

Don't rate modern Mercs....

Marco.
    You take your RS6 and I'll wave as I go past in my Lexus LSF lol

Incedentally two "quality" Beemers are in the 10 most unreliable used cars list, the 1 series being top.

You get what you pay for
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Grant.

Daughter has an A class. It's her pride and joy.
    At moment. Lol
    Nice enough car tbh but my toyota is nicer imo. It's a bit low for my liking. Brother had a c class 220 nice car. (I think that's what it is)
    Think the farmer who was friends with him wants to buy it.
    Again it's a tad lower than my preference.
    I agree the badge seems to have grown way big and thus lost its style and class.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Each to his or her own I guess, but I'm just not into Lexus. And most cars, once they're used, are as reliable as they're looked after and maintained by their owners!

Quite a few of my friends have owned BMWs for years, and never had any trouble with them, but they've always been regularly serviced/tuned and maintained, because they were driven by car enthusiasts, not just folk who simply see cars as a method of getting from 'A to B'.....

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Daughter has an A class. It's her pride and joy.
    At moment. Lol
    Nice enough car tbh but my toyota is nicer imo. It's a bit low for my liking. Brother had a c class 220 nice car. (I think that's what it is)
    Think the farmer who was friends with him wants to buy it.
    Again it's a tad lower than my preference.
    I agree the badge seems to have grown way big and thus lost its style and class.
    You'd have hee-haw chance of getting in or out my car then, mate.... Shame, as I'd love you to hear the stereo next time I'm up!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yup - I *MUCH* preferred the old [and iconic] metal badge, sat atop the bonnet! Just as RR used to do with their 'Spirit of Ecstasy'. But that's cost-cutting for you....

Marco.
    Less to do with cost-cutting, more to do with health and safety. It was found that even at low speeds (not enough to kill or badly injure a pedestrian on impact), injuries could still occur with the victim being thrown up onto the bonnet and impaling themselves on the emblem/badge. I imagine the Jaguar 'jaguar' would have been perfect for that!
    Barry

Ah, health and safety spoil all the fun again... The secret I guess, is to try and not hit anyone!

The old Merc badge wasn't rigid though, so used to move when pushed, plus it was a rounded shape, so it's difficult to see how that could've injured anyone.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

They had recoiled badges I thought, though may still cause injury I guess. But getting hit by 30cwt of metal causes plenty damage too. Again speed is the biggest killer. 20mph strike does so much less damage than 30 in pedestrian strikes.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast