+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Well done Kent Police

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I'm not your typical Merc driver, though....

Marco.
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Regarding older drivers I tend to agree, although you can usually identify them by their flat caps! I do have a theory though, and now I am 65 I'm putting it to the test, which is: if one continues to drive fast (not necessarily high speeds though) and also continue to do a lot of miles each year then one's reflexes etc stay sharp.
    hey i wear a flat cap sometimes its about keeping you mind active and then using your experience to avoid others issues. But there comes a time when, if your smart, you know when its time to hang up the keys. 65 isnt that time for majority.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    hey i wear a flat cap sometimes
    Peaky Blinder

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    But there comes a time when, if your smart, you know when its time to hang up the keys. 65 isnt that time for majority.
    Totally agree
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Peaky Blinder

Ive never seen it. I wore caps when young too. They were out of fashion then so i wore em.. Mostly wear fedoras but a cap works well when in car. a damn site better than a baseball cap
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Depends on the size of a household. OK - you want to force people to all live in little boxes in a city where there may be public transport, or cycling or walking are feasible. Maybe you want to stop people from having kids, or alternatively condemn parents to forever providing a taxi service.
    Maybe you don't want people to live together in one house - which can be more efficient energy wise. Maybe you want to stop relatively poorer people from owning their own homes, so that they have to move into one house with their parents, or share with friends, because they can't afford to live otherwise. Maybe you want to stop some of the people living in multiple occupancy homes from using cars to go to work, as otherwise they won't get there in time, and won't get paid, and thus make their problems even worse.

I suspect you want everyone else to belong to this - http://www.vhemt.org/aboutvhemt.htm.
    Jeez, that's a bit grim... You obviously don't know me very well!

No way would I advocate anything so extreme as the latter, or indeed any of the above. More likely the exact opposite! However just to address this:

Maybe you want to stop people from having kids, or alternatively condemn parents to forever providing a taxi service.
    No, but the 'little darlings' don't need a car each either!

They can learn to share, or live on their own (if they're old enough to drive a car and pay for it), so that they're not restricted by the '2 cars per household' rule. Quite simply, the situation is beyond ridiculous now, where many of the UK's Victorian residential streets, which simply aren't designed for such levels of traffic, are barely accessible because every bugger living on them thinks that they are 'entitled' to have a car, so they all end up parked parallel to each other, outside on very narrow streets!

Therefore something drastic needs done, as it's not sustainable...

My goal would be to ensure that every major city in the UK has a proper underground system, such as in use in London, and/or a proper infrastructure for trams, plus I'd ensure that there were bus and trains services (regular and punctual), with extensive networks of such running throughout the country (including rural areas), and which people could rely on. Basically, I'd improve our public transport system as much as possible, in order to encourage folks when they're travelling, for everyday journeys at least, to leave their cars at home - or even better (if possible) not to own one in the first place.

Now of course, saying that, and PAYING for it and making it become a reality, are two very different things!

However, maybe if all our resident millionaires/billionaires and 'fat cats' were forced to pay proper taxes, in line with their huge earnings, and we spent a bit less on developing and housing nuclear weapons/submarines, etc, it might go some way towards helping pay for it...?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

need to police them too tho as a lot of folk are rightly afraid to use much of the public transport system. its a sad reflection on our society when you even have to comtemplate this but such is the way its going
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    What's funny, daftee? I honestly am not; at least certainly not as they're often negatively portrayed!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    And that neither of them should be diesel.
    Sure, I'd go with that, as diesel is not the future. My next car defo won't be a diesel, but it won't be electric either!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Hanging's too good for 'em!

I agree lane discipline on European motorways is far better.

I see people here in the outside lane on the M4 who will not move over under any circumstance. Often they are not even going 70 and seem oblivious to the traffic backing up behind them.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I rather embarrassingly found out decades ago that there is no offence of overtaking someone on the nearside (undertaking), I won't embellish, but those who know me can probably join the dots

Central lane hogging is actually a tad more serious than just mildly annoying. Around 40% of collisions occur in the right hand 'overtaking' or 'fast' lane as some call it. By hogging the central lane you are forcing most drivers to overtake using the right hand 'fast' lane where the greater majority of collisions occur, as most people believe you can't undertake, which you can. The road may have been empty for this driver, but it's a point of habit and drivers are creatures of it. If they do it when the roads are empty, they do it when it's full as well, so they need educating that's it's not best practice, potentially hazardous and an offence. Road policing units have been encouraged to enforce this for a number of years now, that's a Home Office directive, not a police officer having a bad day and looking for tickets! Collisions occur when drivers have to change course or alter speed and if you're hogging the central carriageway unnecessarily, it's a potential consequence and any collision on a major route is enormously expensive.

Any action where you cause another driver to unnecessarily change course or alter speed is careless or inconsiderate driving and punishable - it's quite simple really. Another great example is entering a motorway or road via a slip road. Those are give way lines as you enter, so you have to give way to the traffic on the main carriageway. Barrelling down and entering at speed causing anyone to change speed or alter course to accommodate you is actually an offence as well.

If you drive in the far left lane you are nearly twice as unlikely to be involved in a collision/incident as when driving in the far right or outside lane. Additionally, if something does happen you often have an escape area to head for to your nearside, in the other two lanes you've got nowhere to go except into other traffic, especially if it's busy.

We've still got pretty safe roads though, just check out some Russian dashcam footage if you don't believe me
    I wouldn't recommend overtaking on the left, unless in accordance with the Highway Code rule below:

Rule 268
    Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast