+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caiman seg doesn’t remember filter settings?

I'm Neds.

Very sensible Andy. I used to leave my gear on permanently, until I read a post years back that said it was a waste of time and electricity. I’m now thinking of going back to that. I guess I thought that the SEG would overheat or fail in some way. Do most people leave them on?

I'm Gary.

I never turn my hi fi stuff off (except valve stuff). Found out long ago while working for major computer companies that failures generally arose after switch off, switch on. I know others will disagree but this is experience of hundreds of thousands of electronic components, worst being routers.

I do switch everything off if I’m going away for weeks at a time.

One company went to the extreme of using “burnt in” chips........they failed in just the same way.

Components due age and fail prematurely but I guess it’s swings and roundabouts.

My TAGmclaren F3 cd transport has been on since 2000.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Neds View Post
    As per title, had set the dac to the 3 flash setting for both cd and Spotify via google chrome audio. Played Spotify yesterday and it sounded dull. Checked this evening, and the settings had gone back to filter 0, I.e. no flashes. Any answers?
    Sorry for the late reply. I had a funeral to deal with, and then also found out that the AoS website is being blocked by my browser suddenly.

I have had a look at the issue and ran it through my code emulator to see what could be the problem. It turns out that it is somehow linked to the reset code in the firmware. If the DAC is not shut down and then restarted properly (i.e. it isn't given 20 seconds or more between switch off and switch on), the firmware doesn't get enough time to back up the stored functions into its EEPROM. It is instead interrupted, and asked to restart the DAC instead. But if on restart the firmware detects a possible inconsistency between what it expects to find in the EEPROM, and what is actually there, the firmware will automatically do a soft reset to the DAC in order to recover into a correct start up sequence.

I am trying out a code rewrite of the reset function so that it is split between a hard reset, which will reset all the EEPROM data, and the soft reset that will leave the sound signature settings unaffected.
    I am going to need some time to give this a proper test and see if there are any side effects to this.

Best email me for now if you got an issue, until I can figure out why I am having problems with getting my browser to bring up the AoS page.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. I had a funeral to deal with, and then also found out that the AoS website is being blocked by my browser suddenly.

I have had a look at the issue and ran it through my code emulator to see what could be the problem. It turns out that it is somehow linked to the reset code in the firmware. If the DAC is not shut down and then restarted properly (i.e. it isn't given 20 seconds or more between switch off and switch on), the firmware doesn't get enough time to back up the stored functions into its EEPROM. It is instead interrupted, and asked to restart the DAC instead. But if on restart the firmware detects a possible inconsistency between what it expects to find in the EEPROM, and what is actually there, the firmware will automatically do a soft reset to the DAC in order to recover into a correct start up sequence.

I am trying out a code rewrite of the reset function so that it is split between a hard reset, which will reset all the EEPROM data, and the soft reset that will leave the sound signature settings unaffected.
    I am going to need some time to give this a proper test and see if there are any side effects to this.

Best email me for now if you got an issue, until I can figure out why I am having problems with getting my browser to bring up the AoS page.
    Clear your browser. It should then be fine.
    There was an issue which has been sorted but the browser memory might still have it flagged
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neds.

Hi Stan. I knew about your funeral, so this wasn't aimed at you right now, but thank you most kindly for replying. I think I'll go with leaving it powered up for the moment, unless there's any reason not to?
    Many thanks and here's to happier times
    Neds

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12