+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troels Gravesen Jenzen speakers.

I'm Richard.

Default Troels Gravesen Jenzen speakers.

After building these 6 years ago, and refining them since, my wife has heard a pair of big Quads and likes the way they portray vocals. I can't argue with that, and I have always liked electrostatics, so these big transmission line speakers are for sale. The design is by Troels Gravesen; they started as the SEAS ER Jenzens, but I upgraded the mid drivers and crossovers to the NEXT configuration. I tried a pair of AMT tweeters in them, but returned to the SEAS tweeters after discovering the frequency dip I had was due to listening on the wrong axis. They now have adjustable tilt to fine tune this.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-SEAS-ER.htm
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-NEXT.htm

I have also upgraded some crossover components (Mills resistors on the tweeters, and Mundorf caps and resistors where they sounded better), the internal and external wiring is Studio Connections Reference, and the crossovers are mounted externally on isolating loops, and there is switchable attenuation for the tweeters and midranges.

The cabinets are made from a laminate of 18mm birch ply and 6mm MDF, with extra thickness for the fronts, as specified by Troels. I have added curved sand filled sides which create an incredibly inert cabinet, so the usual panel resonances are pretty much absent.

The fronts and tops are covered in black leather, with oak veneered sides and walnut trim top and bottom, while the backs are veneered with Wenge. The plinths have outriggers with adjustable spikes sat on cups to protect my polished oak floor.

These are powerful speakers, with bass that can punch me in the chest, and will respond to a powerful amp. I am using a Parasound Halo A21; over 250W per channel, and the room cries enough before the speakers.

They are infinitely tuneable, if you so wish, but I have done the work so you don't need to.

There are a couple of long and rather rambling build threads for those who like such things, and I will advise on any set-up or tuning questions as needed. Unfortunately most of the pictures are gone, as they were on Photobucket.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/8...seas-er-build/
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...n-Jenzen-build

And without the protective bars. These were temporary to protect the drivers from grandsons with rucksacks, but my wife likes them, so they have stayed! I had some over the tweeters, but they affected the sound, so I haven't been using them. They can be refitted if desired.

I live in Plymouth, which is a long way from almost anywhere, but we do have a spare room, so if someone is serious there is the possibility to stop over, and I have a people-carrier, so I am prepared to deliver them for the cost of the fuel, as long as I can do the round trip in one day.

I'm asking £1000 for a quick sale, which doesn't even cover the component costs! But there is no room for these and Quads.*

BTW, these are also advertised on a couple of other forums.
    Last edited by awkwardbydesign; 06-11-2019 at 15:44.

I'm Dominic.

Tell 'em how much they weigh, real hernia inducers LOL
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Greg.

Your mail box is full.

I might just as well ask here:
    Where are you located?
    Judging from your posts might be too far for me, but I though I would ask...

I'm Richard.

Eh? What's happened to my thread?

I'm Grant.

Big boys those. Looks nice, and at least they split
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

I've deleted this post, as it was a copy of the original, and posted when the forum went weird!
    Last edited by awkwardbydesign; 07-11-2019 at 09:39.

I'm Grant.

There has been some issues with forum i think. It wont let me view the blues jazz thread..
    Site was down earlier
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregje View Post
    Your mail box is full.

I might just as well ask here:
    Where are you located?
    Judging from your posts might be too far for me, but I though I would ask...
    Plymouth.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

??
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Justin.

I heard these a while ago at Dick's place.

They are definitely worth the asking price IMHO.

For my musical taste I'd take these over Quad 2905 for the following reason: they'll go way louder with ease and pump out some pretty solid bass. So reggae, electronic and rock fans with the need for volume these will be worth considering.

That's not to knock 2905s which I actually think are one of the better Quad models. They just present things rather differently and in some ways better.

Any audiophile has to own panels at some stage so that has to be born in mind

In the flesh they are very well made.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast