+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suck or blow

I'm nigel.

I'm blowing...
    Although the receiver delivers 140wpc in stereo, I thought I could use a little more and so took advantage of the bridge mode.
    I guess its now capable of north of 200wpc....but....even with the wick up its now running cooler.

I'm thinking this is a result of the individual amplifier boards sharing output and not working so hard.

I've long been of the opinion that due to the fast pace of development, older A/V receivers are a steal secondhand...but for 80 quid this one has really surprised me.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    My instinct is to suck out because the vacuum will then pull the air into the cabinet from all the source openings, and this will be very turbulent and reduce laminar flow. Blowing at the hot item will cause a bounce, rather than engulfment.
    That's the worst thing you can do because it will fill up with dust in no time.

I'm charles.

We have AC Infinity over here - with a choice of top, front or rear exhaust. I think they would work in UK with a small transformer.

I'm Adam.

You could do worse than keeping an eye out for an Antec Veris A/V cooler like this one here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTEC-Sou...AAAOSwqLFdZqn2

It sits on top of your item and its fans pull air up through the item, into the bottom of the cooler and then push it out of the rear of the cooler. I have one for big power amp use and it's quiet and effective.

I don't think they're made any more, so you'll be relying on secondhand.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Dennis.

Matt, I cannot see any correlation between dustiness and whether to suck or blow. Either way there is a need for airflow volume, and this air will contain dust, this IMO being best addressed by using a filter grid at the point of air entry.

My PC has three fans arranged in series, all of which blow to an outlet, hence they suck into the cabinet, and the entrance point does get dusty, this readily visible and hence hooverable.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Matt, I cannot see any correlation between dustiness and whether to suck or blow. Either way there is a need for airflow volume, and this air will contain dust, this IMO being best addressed by using a filter grid at the point of air entry.

My PC has three fans arranged in series, all of which blow to an outlet, hence they suck into the cabinet, and the entrance point does get dusty, this readily visible and hence hooverable.
    Dennis,
    You said "my instinct is to suck out because the vacuum will then pull the air into the cabinet from all the source openings" - If you do that, the air being sucked in through "all the source openings" wont go through filters. Any air going into the cabinet should be filtered to keep dust out.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Dennis,
    You said "my instinct is to suck out because the vacuum will then pull the air into the cabinet from all the source openings" - If you do that, the air being sucked in through "all the source openings" wont go through filters. Any air going into the cabinet should be filtered to keep dust out.
    Unless all the entry poi9nts are filtered, (although not stated previously), of course the entry points must be filtered.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12