+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suck or blow

I'm nigel.

Default Suck or blow

I recently bought cheap a Onkyo AV Receiver, one of the models with overheating problems...a TX-NR 905.
    A brick shithouse thankfully all functional...the graphic chip on the HDMI board is still working.

I have attempted to alleviate some of the excessive heat issues by heatsinking the I.C.s on the graphics board but think some active cooling will be needed.
    So...if I go with mounting a fan, do I force cool air in....or suck hot air out.?

I'm Alan.

Blow air in.
    Turbulent air will 'stick' to the radiating surfaces better than laminar air and absorb more heat. Hence it is better to blow air over as the air is turbulent coming out of the fan (due to the blades chopping up the air).

I'm matt.

Not sure how you're planning to do it but i've just recently built a new pc, so my knowledge is reasonably fresh on the subject.
    Bigger fans are better because they can be run slower and make less noise than a smaller fan that is spinning faster to move the same amount of air. If you are using a pc fan, you can get filters to help keep dust out of your machine (they come in standard sizes). I use Arctic F14 and F12 fans in my pc because they come with a 10 year warranty and are good value for money.

Most agree that you are better off having more fans blowing in than sucking out because this helps keep dust out (assuming you have filters on the input fans). If it's a sealed unit i'd think about either having one big fan pushing air in and one smaller fan sucking air out or at least adding some vents to let the hot air escape.

Edit:

If you want to direct air straight over the problem area, the Arctic P14 will focus the air into a smaller area. These are more like what you'd get on a GPU or CPU, rather than the F14 that is just a case fan.

I'm nigel.

Thanks for the replies...I've dug around and found a couple of 12v fans, or from a old PC psu and one from God knows.
    To keep noise down both are currently running on 6v wallwarts..
    I have them just sitting on the lid....no room inside for a permanent mount...I have a friend who fabricated metal (called him a welder once and he nearly punched me)...I'll see if he can mount them in the lid without destroying it..

I'm matt.

Make sure you use filters or you will fill your amp with dust in no time.

I'm Anto.

Could you use 2 , one to input and another to suck it out? The thread title make me think of other things
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Phil.

Default Nice big dumplings?

What on earth is going on?

I'm Dennis.

My instinct is to suck out because the vacuum will then pull the air into the cabinet from all the source openings, and this will be very turbulent and reduce laminar flow. Blowing at the hot item will cause a bounce, rather than engulfment.

I'm Grant.

Blow
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

I opened this thread only as I have a filthy mind.

But as I'm here I'd suggest two fans - one blowing in and the other sucking out. As oddball suggests.

Typical PC way of doing things.

If you find the fans you have make too much noise try Noiseblocker fans - virtually silent at 1m. Or slow down your existing fans with resistors.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast